Detailing World Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
also check your user setting as i see all the boxes have been pre ticked (which i thought was against GDRP) for emails and other notifications.

• Receive news and update emails

You may find additional email options under Preferences.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Manufacturers and Private Label Brands won’t be happy as hidden behind a sub section, wouldn’t these be better as traders regardless if the make there own or rebrand / white label. it doesn’t even show the latest post from the forum home page, you must go into the sub section to see who’s posted, (other than new posts button)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Those were already listed as sub-forums before the software migration, as far as I am aware. Also, hoping this may help some with navigating for new posts, etc.

~Mike D
Azure Rectangle Font Pattern Electric blue

Yes in a sub section but was visible without having to enter it and you could see the latest post and all brands / company names, a rework to have these displayed should be reviewed. As to me they are hidden in a sub section, as they are all traders at the end of the day.

Reactions: Ennoch

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Ok, understood. Now, you would need to click on the "Sub-Forum" link to show those, as described here.
View attachment 79673

~Mike D
Not really a resolve, if I was paying to be a manufacture in that section, I would want maximum visibility without being hidden in a sub section, that someone has to click within to see, but I guess that’s between you and the manufactures to sort out, just a visual issue as I see it.

and please please download Firefox and use a adblocker Mike that will give you a better user experience or you can pay $20. :)

I have just viewed the website in Chrome and Edge and I see your pain, firefox and a FREE adblocker is the way forward.

• Haha
Reactions: Admin

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If you are running an ad blocker, that can affect the Push Notifications. If you are able to turn the ad blocker off just so you can disable the Push Notifications, that may solve the issue for you.

nope that didn't work
Try this link to get you into your account setting and look for "Push notifications " change this to your liking. this should disable them for you.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I will escalate this concern and get back to you.

~Mike D
The ruling
In short, the ruling states:
  • Pre-checked boxes, even on a cookie bar settings page, are not allowed;
All consent to advertising or personalisation related cookies needs to be acquired through an explicit action, like checking a box or actively clicking an ‘I accept’ button or both.

and this and many other boxes are pre-ticked
"Email options
  • Receive news and update emails"

Reactions: Cookies

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Not liking it so far, I'll give it a chance to see if I get used to it.
Recommended posts needs looking at though, I'm getting suggestions for posts where last reply was 2008!
I would say this is done on purpose as not everyone checks the dates And will comment, this will be great for google and ad revenue As it's new content To crawl. Bloggers do it on old post to renew/ refresh posts. It's great for SEO.

What Google say!
When you leave your old blog posts to languish and decay, you're essentially wasting the time and money you invested in getting those posts published. Instead, you should spend a few hours updating those old posts to make those investments continue to earn money for your business.
I would think this is the same for thread bumping.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I sent you a private conversation for who to reach out to with your GDPR concerns.

- Cricket
I'm sorry you want me to flag a issue with GDPR to an email address, taking more time out of my day to correct your wrong doings, it's your problem not mine. Not really the response I was looking for, a better response would have been,

"thank you for your concern and I have emailed our privacy team to see what the standing is on pre ticked / sign up newsletters email notification are within the software for the UK, we will be back with you shortly, but for now you can do X Y and Z up unsubscribe yourself from these notifications "

Wasnt that hard was it!

Reactions: Ennoch

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I don't think I'd be paying for premium membership just to remove the ads, as annoying as they are. I may consider it though if premium membership included allowing members to sell on the forum; whereas they need to pay for this separately at present.
I quite like the new layout though. 👍
Just use a adblocker and no more adds, tested in firefox pc, firefox mobile and chrome pc.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
As a quick note, as a community designed to inflict the least damage to their cars and paintwork as possible, the header image of sponge, wouldn't that be more suitable being a wash mitt or similar.
100% this needs to be addressed , its takes away the detailing aspects and make It more a car cleaning forum, which in a way may attract more traffic, but it should be looked at.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I get that change is needed, and on the whole it looks a lot more modern, but, there’s too many adverts, do we really need flashing / constantly moving adverts on the right hand side, on the bottom, and in between replies? they’re just far too distracting..
What Admin wont tell you, but get a free addon adblocker, it blocks the ads

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Just clicked on the "learn more" button under premium membership. For $20 a year, you get reduced ads.
Or no ads

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
In regards to the sales section the below was reported days ago by another user and it’s still the same, (its a 5 minute job at most) so my question to admin, which feedback has been actioned since the new software has been implemented from feedback?

Also my question on GDPR has not been replied to, as I recall a comment from another user saying feedback just get ignored as its happened on plenty of other VS forums.!

Personal Sales Section (Detailing Items Only)
Sell your items here. Please read the rules first! This is a subscription section you will need to go to your userCP (top left of the page) and select Paid Subscriptions.
Can you also to through each forum section and unpin some of the none relevant threads please as some are crazy old or misleading. Or just give me admin rights and I will be happy to change them for you!

12 days of Xmas 2019 Prize list << Example Pinned?
DW new stickers -
DW social Media (this has all been changed to DetailingSpace)
NOW LIVE - detailingworld youtube channel (Does DW have a YT Channel?, again changed to detailing space)
Dw 2020 mega christmas giveaway entry
i think you get the drift......

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
We are continually doing work on site and in the background. Also, in regards to some members you mentioned in another discussion, here is a member list for everyone's reference Notable members.

~Mike D
But Mike what feedback have you actioned, thats been submitted by the users of DW? that was my question.
and in regards to the staff members list, that needs a culling.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
So, correct me if I’m wrong. Paying $20 a year still doesn’t remove the awful ads completley? Just a ‘reduced ads experience blah, blah?’ Sadly it’s now all about earning money from ads.

DW was once a great forum! I hope I’m wrong, but since this new change I can see a lot of people going elsewhere.

I‘d much rather pay £20 a year in keeping the old DW forum going than this awful ad infested layout.
Or a free option 2 Days in & fed up with the Ads? (AD Blocker)

Reactions: Naddy37

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Might have missed it - but I can’t see any marker etc that shows you’ve participated in the thread. - good to know for welcomes etc, but nice to catch up from your own post onwards sometimes…
Yep, the configuration of it is a tad frustrating. Threads you haven't looked at and won't ever show up as unread where before it would reset with every visit, and like you said there's no indication of what you've been involved in already. All style and no substance it seems, and I suspect these elements will forever remain the way they are.
<< UPDATE A BETTER WAY

May not be the quickest or best way, but I have found click on your avatar picture >> My Profile >> then you will see >> Replies & Discussions Created >> Click on the numbers under these heading and you will see your posts you have taken part in or started.

Reactions: Andyblue

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
@Admin while you have removed the wording within the sales area you have left this thread. this needs to be locked, removed, or updated as it will cause confusion. maybe the other pinned threads need to be also looked at in the same section.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Installed adblocker this morning. Seems to be working okay, no annoying adverts. Working great on YouTube as well:)(y)
Glad i could help.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I see we're still not allowed to use the word s y n e r g y still. Why is that?
More than likely someone threatening court action of the use of the word like back in the day with Zymol and Brough & Howarth or Defin1tve Wax you may know them as. & look what good that did him >> dissolved via voluntary strike-off

Reactions: macmark

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
This is awful, navigating around is now a chore its all hidden under menus (n), the ad's are insane like a quarter of the screen on mobile flashing at you.

If the forum is now a corporate product I would expect user experience to be a top priority to attract more users and make more revenue.
Look at post #127 in this thread it works on mobile too. Slightly different install instruction but works.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.