Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

21 - 40 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
What adverts are people getting? Is that on PC or mobile?

Anyone tried other internet browsers like Brave?
i'm on a laptop, but why should i have to download a different browser?
if they left the ads as banner ads and not take up a 1/4 of the screen then i wouldn't be bothered.
but with unrelated guff to this hobby.
so far in typing my two replies i've 2 clothing, a steel design, a musical, WWE, ecommerce. and something that flickered really badly like i said before.

·
Administrator
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Posts/new threads from earlier in the day have disappeared.

Great start and those ads on the screen are a flaming nuisance.......the end is nigh for me personally as I for one don't like the new format.

It's like FB, peppered with adverts.

Oh joy!
Yes, some posts/threads that were made during the migration to the new software today, may have been lost. Other than the ads, is there something specific that I can assist with helping you with on the new software?

~Mike D

·
Administrator
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am not always a huge fan of change myself and I truly understand that change isn't something that always comes so easy. In my humble opinion, a successful community has never been about the platform. It is about the amazing members who come together to share a common interest and along the way, true friendships are developed.

~Mike D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Good to see this is exactly as we were warned, right down to the announcement message. Was sad to see the concerns raised in the previous thread were glossed over each time in favour of what looked like pre-written responses.

First impressions, it's awful, and I'm also getting the ads, along with a request to send push notifications. If that's the cost of the new forum, give me the old one any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Ah no! Not this forum as well! What a shame! This was the last of the forums I joined 10 years or so ago to change over to this format. Don't like it. All the other forums that went like this have died. Sorry DW but this is a BAD move! Definitely won't be visiting as much as before.

Focusrsoc / fiestastoc / focusstoc went to this layout some months ago and I still absolutely hate it. The forums have just become money printers for the owners unfortunately.

In the words of Duncan Bannatyne "I'm out"

·
Administrator
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good to see this is exactly as we were warned, right down to the announcement message. Was sad to see the concerns raised in the previous thread were glossed over each time in favour of what looked like pre-written responses.

First impressions, it's awful, and I'm also getting the ads, along with a request to send push notifications. If that's the cost of the new forum, give me the old one any day of the week.
Is there something specific you don't like or I can help you find?

Also, as for the Push Notifications, the community offers push notifications if your browser's permissions allow it. You may see a popup in the community allowing you to enable these permissions for the site.

You can also enable/disable push notifications by clicking on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Account Settings” from the drop-down menu.

You will now see left side navigation. Select “Preferences”.

Scroll down to Push Notifications to set your preferences.

Enabling push notifications will enable them for this device only. If you log out of this device, you will need to re-enable push notifications.

~Mike D

·
DW's car of the day man & Moderator
14,007 Posts
Not necessarily. What I was meaning was that one of the benefits of Premium Membership is the ability to remove the right column so you can concentrate on discussions better.

~Mike D
Basically you’ve got to pay for premium membership to gain this benefit, correct?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
also check your user setting as i see all the boxes have been pre ticked (which i thought was against GDRP) for emails and other notifications.

• Receive news and update emails

You may find additional email options under Preferences.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Manufacturers and Private Label Brands won’t be happy as hidden behind a sub section, wouldn’t these be better as traders regardless if the make there own or rebrand / white label. it doesn’t even show the latest post from the forum home page, you must go into the sub section to see who’s posted, (other than new posts button)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Such a shame to see this forum migrate on to this new software. DW was one of only a few left on a decent platform, now it's littered with ads and isn't as user friendly.
Having been part of various other forums that sadly moved over to this platform and witnessed their traffic dwindle, I hope that DW doesn't go this way, but I suspect it will.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Same design as used on another car enthusiast forum, so nothing new for me. It will need time to get familiar with few features for people who see it first time, but personally I like it better. Better navigation, notifications - I like it.

·
Administrator
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Manufacturers and Private Label Brands won’t be happy as hidden behind a sub section, wouldn’t these be better as traders regardless if the make there own or rebrand / white label. it doesn’t even show the latest post from the forum home page, you must go into the sub section to see who’s posted, (other than new posts button)
Those were already listed as sub-forums before the software migration, as far as I am aware. Also, hoping this may help some with navigating for new posts, etc.

Navigating The Site

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

~Mike D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Same design as used on another car enthusiast forum, so nothing new for me. It will need time to get familiar with few features for people who see it first time, but personally I like it better. Better navigation, notifications - I like it.
I am completely lost with this site now, being 62 years old just about able to log in to the new site.
what is enable push notifications ?? why can't I click not now and the box disappear ? or do I click never .....
oh just tried that and the box is still there

One good thing is I don't see any adverts I use Firefox and adblocker as advised by my eldest computer savvy daughter
Luckily she understands a lot more about computers etc. than me , she got me on here tonight (y)

That da.. push notification box won't go away

·
Administrator
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I am completely lost with this site now, being 62 years old just about able to log in to the new site.
what is enable push notifications ?? why can't I click not now and the box disappear ? or do I click never .....

One good thing is I don't see any adverts I use Firefox and adblocker as advised by my eldest computer savvy daughter
Luckily she understands a lot more about computers etc. than me , she got me on here tonight (y)

That da.. push notification box won't go away
If you are running an ad blocker, that can affect the Push Notifications. If you are able to turn the ad blocker off just so you can disable the Push Notifications, that may solve the issue for you.

~Mike D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Same firefox/adblock user. Just press NEVER and enjoy the forum - honestly it much better design website to the previous version.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Those were already listed as sub-forums before the software migration, as far as I am aware. Also, hoping this may help some with navigating for new posts, etc.

~Mike D
Azure Rectangle Font Pattern Electric blue

Yes in a sub section but was visible without having to enter it and you could see the latest post and all brands / company names, a rework to have these displayed should be reviewed. As to me they are hidden in a sub section, as they are all traders at the end of the day.

Reactions: Ennoch

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Why on earth do I have to click into a section to access the subsection? (Projects and restorations specifically)....

Been on here about 5 mins with the new format. I'm not liking it one bit. I'm no stickler regarding change...mostly, it's for the positive but this, this feels very wrong.

·
Administrator
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
View attachment 79671
Yes in a sub section but was visible without having to enter it and you could see the latest post and all brands / company names, a rework to have these displayed should be reviewed. As to me they are hidden in a sub section, as they are all traders at the end of the day.
Ok, understood. Now, you would need to click on the "Sub-Forum" link to show those, as described here.
Rectangle Font Software Screenshot Technology

~Mike D

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you are running an ad blocker, that can affect the Push Notifications. If you are able to turn the ad blocker off just so you can disable the Push Notifications, that may solve the issue for you.

nope that didn't work

21 - 40 of 205 Posts