Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

101 - 120 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Now that I've managed to get logged in and have a look, it strikes me that it's a very cluttered layout that puts more emphasis on the board itself than the content. I'm not very modern, I don't like flashy **** for the sake of it and much prefer that the content does the talking, and because of that I've always preferred the old VBulettin style boards. In fact I'd say that their simplicity is what made them so good. Now we've got a board here which is plastered in sidebars, bottom bars, top bars and almost all peddling advertising for totally unrelated stuff that blinks and flashes at you. It's what happens unfortunately when someone who set up a board for the love of it sells to someone who simply wants to make money from it. So what do they do? They make the standard board worse and then offer to sell you an upgrade for $x a year to make all the bad bits go away. Except that simply supports them in what they do. Recent years have been littered with forums that have not only lost out to Facebook but then been passed to a company like VS who then continue the effort to kill them. It might seem harsh, but a lot of these changes over the years have alienated the long time users of numerous forums and that has over time led to their demise. I also fundamentally object to paying when your page contributions are helping to generate traffic to the site. It's not hard to make the advertising non-intrusive, and in most cases actually helps click throughs as I haven't bothered with an ad blocker for ages but guess what was the first thing I installed when I saw the changes to this board? A number of times when using google to find stuff you come across sites where the overwhelming feeling is a board for google ads with the occasional bit of content, and I usually close them down without even bothering to continue with what I was searching for as the advertisements are just too infuriating.

Overall we've gone from clean, simple and functional to cluttered, gaudy and unnecessarily fussy. A great shame, and a greater shame if users go elsewhere because of these changes.

·
Administrator
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Not uninstalled yet for fear of never getting back in I’m on iOS.

Brought this to the dev's attention yesterday and working with them today to figure out whats going wrong. Externally linked images work fine but images loaded via the site since migration show broken. Will update soon, hopefully.

-Other Mike

·
Administrator
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I've notice you can lose the adverts by paying $20 a year. In fairness its not much to pay to have a forum of like minded people. That money will surely get re-invested to make this a better place for all of us.
Yes, we have a Premium Membership option where you have a few added benefits, such as the ability to hide the right side bar and have a reduced ad experience.

~Mike D

·
Administrator
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Devs will be messing with the site a bit in order to (hopefully) fix TT. Might see some performance issues on and off while they do their thing.

-Other Mike

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Now that I've managed to get logged in and have a look, it strikes me that it's a very cluttered layout that puts more emphasis on the board itself than the content. I'm not very modern, I don't like flashy **** for the sake of it and much prefer that the content does the talking, and because of that I've always preferred the old VBulettin style boards. In fact I'd say that their simplicity is what made them so good. Now we've got a board here which is plastered in sidebars, bottom bars, top bars and almost all peddling advertising for totally unrelated stuff that blinks and flashes at you. It's what happens unfortunately when someone who set up a board for the love of it sells to someone who simply wants to make money from it. So what do they do? They make the standard board worse and then offer to sell you an upgrade for $x a year to make all the bad bits go away. Except that simply supports them in what they do. Recent years have been littered with forums that have not only lost out to Facebook but then been passed to a company like VS who then continue the effort to kill them. It might seem harsh, but a lot of these changes over the years have alienated the long time users of numerous forums and that has over time led to their demise. I also fundamentally object to paying when your page contributions are helping to generate traffic to the site. It's not hard to make the advertising non-intrusive, and in most cases actually helps click throughs as I haven't bothered with an ad blocker for ages but guess what was the first thing I installed when I saw the changes to this board? A number of times when using google to find stuff you come across sites where the overwhelming feeling is a board for google ads with the occasional bit of content, and I usually close them down without even bothering to continue with what I was searching for as the advertisements are just too infuriating.

Overall we've gone from clean, simple and functional to cluttered, gaudy and unnecessarily fussy. A great shame, and a greater shame if users go elsewhere because of these changes.
I agree with the above, I am a long time lurker as I used to frequent the site and post in the early years quite frequently but now just come back to read reviews/thoughts about certain products as I have scaled back. However going to keep an open mind and trial the site for a couple of weeks but the flashing ads are already driving me crazy!

·
Administrator
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·

I will be stepping away for an extended weekend, but will be back on Tuesday morning for any further assistance, if needed. As a reminder, please take a moment to browse through our Community FAQ's. Let us know if you have any questions.

~Mike D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Further to my problem about the Enable Push notification box being on screen all the time
despite clicking not now or never
Sorry don't know how to show my previous posts

I used to be able to copy / paste but somehow it has defeated me now

It's only when i log in If I just browse the site it doesn't appear

I have tried all previous suggestions Next one is to launch computer out of the window :mad:

see pic below if it works

Photograph Product Azure Operating system Screenshot

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Another issue I just discovered is that there's a limit to 20 pics per post. On a forum where projects and showroom stuff is clearly a major draw, this seems like a massive oversight. The new post options also seems to be trying too hard to be clever, the upshot of which is you end up with a bunch of automated hyperlinks going nowhere. Give me basics HTML to use in vbulletin any day of the week. I've yet to find any upsides to the new architecture.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
So, correct me if I’m wrong. Paying $20 a year still doesn’t remove the awful ads completley? Just a ‘reduced ads experience blah, blah?’ Sadly it’s now all about earning money from ads.

DW was once a great forum! I hope I’m wrong, but since this new change I can see a lot of people going elsewhere.

I‘d much rather pay £20 a year in keeping the old DW forum going than this awful ad infested layout.

101 - 120 of 210 Posts