Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi DW Memebers!

I am completely new to detailing in all its forms. I have obviously washed and polished cars, but certainly not to the extent of detailing them properly.

This will most likely only be a hobby to me and maybe something I could do to a mate or family members car as a 'treat' so I'm not looking to get into great expense. But at the same time, I want my cars to look as good as possible. They're both nice cars, but could do with a bit of TLC now due to their age, but bearing in mind they are both used regularly and are by no means in concourse condition!

So, I'm after any advice on where to start.....

- What equipment will I need to get started?
- Any links to complete novice information/instructional videos anywhere?
- Where is the best place to get stuff from?
- What should I expect to be paying for stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
See the above links, but as a rough guide:
Clean Your Car are a very good supplier as are Wax-Tec, the difference being Wax-Tec make their own products.
Get a good wash mit, you an buy them cheap from Asda or spend a little bit more and get a good one from the likes of Dooka.
Watch the Junkman's videos on youtube, he covers how to wash your car right up to machine polishing and wet sanding.

Other than that, the old adage of learning to walk before you can run holds true here, learn the basics and get them perfect first before thinking about spending lots of money on waxes and machine polishers and soak up advice from the numerous threads on DW :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

I'm going to do a bit of research before I go and spend a mini fortune on stuff, but if there is anybody in the Shropshire area that wouldn't mind me coming and having a nosey at how they do things, I'd be most grateful!!

Cheers

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm in staffordshire and wouldn't mind showing you around snowfoam/prewash, 2BM, drying and any other little bits you want to see. It is very helpful to have a go with things before you start throwing money at it so you know what youre looking for

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in staffordshire and wouldn't mind showing you around snowfoam/prewash, 2BM, drying and any other little bits you want to see. It is very helpful to have a go with things before you start throwing money at it so you know what youre looking for
Hi,

That's great, cheers!

I'll PM you and hopefully we can set something up

Ian

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would say what I am doing to start.

I am mastering the washing technique, arches, door jams, etc etc.. still not perfect :(
also how to wax a car, avoiding trim, and also interior..

then I will buy a machine a DA for polish.. one step at the time... I am stepping slow lol.

of course they give you excellent advices

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.