Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I cycle quite regularly and on longer cycles I get bad cramps, and I often feel like I would also like an energy drink to keep me going on a cycle, What would you recommend I take.
Thanks Josh

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hmmmm, I presume you aren't a beginner, hence your long rides. So maybe anything would help.

I use the aldi isotonic drink which are fine for my 14 mile run. Try something and see if it helps. Or eat some food en route

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Good hydration and keeping your energy stores topped up are key for the longer rides.

In terms of personal preference, I like the citrus SIS Go gels and powders, I also was given a sample pack of the Zipvit ZV8 Energy Bars recently and they tasted pretty good and didn't have any side effects.

Everyone's taste is different though, so try a few out and see how you get on.

Also if you've not done so already, try and get a professional bike fitting, where they will adjust your saddle, cleats (if you're using them) and recommend the correct length bar stem. This all really helps on the longer rides 50 miles +.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ford,

Cramps are caused by

*) Dehydration
#) Loss/Lack of electrolytes in the body caused by long physical exertion
~) Lack of stretching (not only before and after exercise) but also as a daily routine.

To help solve problems

* Up your daily fluid intake (less tea/coffee and even less beer/wine etc). Fruit juice and or water works well.

* If you don't already - learn to drink on your rides. Little and often. 1 Litre bottle / hr during exercise.

# Eat more banana's daily. Take on out on a ride with you little and often.

# Take out gel bar/s with you to help replace those electrolytes used during training (and racing if that is where you are going with it). Some taste fantastic others taste disgusting. Buy a few singles and taste and find the ones you like.

# There are many powers that you can mix with water to go into a water bottle that you can take with you (I’d make my other bottle juice or water to help dilute the other bottle). Again finding what tastes good for you.

# Do not buy sugar free (unless Dr advices it – other that you are 30Stone). Your exercising your body needs salt and sugar.

~ Leg stretches need to be carried out daily and in pairs – Left leg Front and Rear and then Right Leg. Gluts, Quads, Hamstrings, Calfs and Achilles.

~ Light stretching (up to 10sec each stretch) before going out as long as you have warmed up. On return Long stretch (minimum of 30sec to 1minute max but repeat twice and a third time if at all possible).

- I am not aware of any Medication that will stop cramps but why pay for medication when you can spend it on a new cycle top.

Hope this helps.
Paul:)

·
Registered
962 Posts
I used to get cramps on 30 mile plus rides all the time
Till a work mate told me to try Maximuscle Viperfuel.

No More cramps. I also eat a banana before every ride and 1 during

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.