Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of year when we are coming out to iced up windows every morning. My question is what do you guys use to deice yours?

Is there anything I can apply that will prevent them from icing?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are "preicer" sprays in tesco and the like, but they are not that wonderful and work out as quite expensive, best bet would be a good glass sealant like G1, this will stop the ice sticking, or very much reduce it so just wipers will get rid of it without damage.

Personally, I use a brush/scraper/squeegee combo, unless there's a lot of snow i get in and start the car turn on rear screen and get back out and start with brushing snow off everywhere, scrape the side windows, windscreen and then rear.

Once have finished all that, car has got a bit of heat in it so turn the heater on to demist the screen, and then clear all the wipers plates and lights.

All in takes a few mins, but all the glass can be seen through, lights are all clear etc and heater started kicking some heat out so all is good.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Without meaning to sound sarcastic - deicer, and heaters on in the car.

I refuse to scrape! I've seen some nasty marks left by these and would rather hold on for another 5 minutes than rush over with some plastic tool that marks the window.

Prevention?....there's no magic ingredient I'm afraid. Unless you have shelter, ie. a garage or carport, the only other option would be something to cover the windscreen. :(

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys :)

It's just I leave my house at about 5:30 in the morning for work so can never be bothered scraping and I've been told de-icer isn't great for paintwork if it goes on to it.

Think I'll give v1 and v2 a try, if all else fails then old towels and blanket will suffice lol.

·
Mr Sparkle
9,989 Posts
yep just slosh some luke warm water on , be ready to get the wipers on fast if its super cold out

cars already wet so no harm done

i struggle to believe super duper glass sealers can prevent water from freezing ?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i was tempted to try something like cling film on the windows but never got round to trying out. tend to just put a cover over the van or just big sacks over the windows.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
yep just slosh some luke warm water on , be ready to get the wipers on fast if its super cold out

i struggle to believe super duper glass sealers can prevent water from freezing ?
I seal my windows with AB Repel and ice/frost certainly doesn't stick as firm as untreated areas. The rubber edge of a scraper suffices to remove where as otherwise I'd need the hard edge.

I am also an advocate of a gallon of water poured over the screen as the sheeting is quicker than the freezing.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I press the button in the car. Front and back heated screens and electric heater which automatically kicks in while the engine is too cold = win.

Never found any coatings or anything worked very well on my previous car.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys :)

It's just I leave my house at about 5:30 in the morning for work so can never be bothered scraping and I've been told de-icer isn't great for paintwork if it goes on to it.

Think I'll give v1 and v2 a try, if all else fails then old towels and blanket will suffice lol.
Why don't you use some screen wash in a bottle to de-ice your car? You spray it on your car all year round and would work pretty well as it freezes at -20 or below.

I can vouch that a sealed windscreen doesn't freeze unless temps are really low. However if I don't clear the millions of super cooled water beads in the morning with de-icer then as soon as my windscreen wipers disturb them they instantly freeze.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cold tap water then wack the wipers on clears in mins.

Have g1 on this time so hopefully will help even more.
Keep a 2l bottle of water with abit of screenwash in under the seat to use if im out and about.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.