Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone out there has some how measured how many calories a full machine polish would use up? :buffer:

Obviously I realise that machine polishing is hardly a cardiovascular workout, but it is obviously using more energy than sitting back and watching the TV. :D

Could it be perhaps compared to a very leisurely walk?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think a good hand polish is more likely a worthy calorie burner than using a machine.

Realistically machine polishing a car isn't going to use much energy. The whole detailing process involved before and after the machining stage certainly should though.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends if you've done a shoulder workout the day before!
If you have, then your arms will be on the floor spongebob-esque when you finish!
Whilst I try and get to the gym, I am only really doing cardio work. Rowing sure gives the shoulders a little work out though.

Due to the whole gym, weight thing, I have an app on my phone to log all intake of food and exercise - hence the question. Funnily enough, car polishing isn't on the list. :buffer:

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
I think a good hand polish is more likely a worthy calorie burner than using a machine.

Realistically machine polishing a car isn't going to use much energy. The whole detailing process involved before and after the machining stage certainly should though.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2
^ nothing like a good hand job to burn those calories ;) :thumb:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Whilst I try and get to the gym, I am only really doing cardio work. Rowing sure gives the shoulders a little work out though.

Due to the whole gym, weight thing, I have an app on my phone to log all intake of food and exercise - hence the question. Funnily enough, car polishing isn't on the list. :buffer:
Rowing separates the men from the boys. I seem to recall a good test of fitness was to try and do a 1000m in under 3mins 30? I did it but it nearly killed me, went through the pain barrier.

Spent 5 hours doing the car yesterday and that made me exhausted so it's a decent energy expender/calorie burner.

·
DW Supporter & Woollie Pad Man
4,549 Posts
When I look at the amount of [email protected] I eat, detailing certainly keeps me fairly trim. So it does definitely help on the weight side of things..

Detailing isn't a replacement for proper exercise though. And for those who do detail regularly, I would concentrate on strengthening their core :)..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rowing separates the men from the boys. I seem to recall a good test of fitness was to try and do a 1000m in under 3mins 30? I did it but it nearly killed me, went through the pain barrier.

Spent 5 hours doing the car yesterday and that made me exhausted so it's a decent energy expender/calorie burner.
Rowing I do find tough. I don't particular have any kind of fitness to my knowledge.... :D but my 2000 metre row is around 8 mins 30 seconds, with a much needed water break of 20 to 25 seconds or so @ 800m to go.... So that perhaps averages out at 8 mins 10 seconds if I didn't have to stop for hydration.

Well, I officially put down the equivalent of a leisurely 6 mile walk for today's 8 hour effort on an Audi Q7. I hope there is some comparability :buffer:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also the type of machine you use will dictate the amount of effort needed.

Mr Dooka will back me up on the size of the shoulders needed to lug a Makita around PROPERLY all day.
Only an EP801 and DAS6 at various stages. At the end I felt like I had done a leisurely 6 mile walk so my declaration seemed fair. Think it was about 600 calories - and for the amount of polish and wax microfibre'd off the truck alone I think it was about right

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.