Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning people, looking some information on these vessels, I've noticed some reconditioned ones for sale on a certain site. I've been in touch with the seller and he suggested a 11litre one for general jobs, like cars and windows.

Do people think that 11litres is sufficient? They are empty so I'll source the resin elsewhere, preferably over here in N.Ireland.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I find 11 litres suits me.
It lasts me about a year. Depends on water hardnes.
Very hard water here.
Calculations suggest that's good for about 600 litres of water output at 0TDS

cheers
Keith.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm in the market for additional smaller filters mount after my 11ltr. vessel. The performance of the filter will still be 'good', even though it doesn't filter the water down to 0 ppm(tap water is 300-400ppm), but even at 50-60 ppm the water around here will leave marks, so fitting an additional smaller filter, will remove the rest and the system will be a more economical solution to run.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I'm in the market for additional smaller filters mount after my 11ltr. vessel. The performance of the filter will still be 'good', even though it doesn't filter the water down to 0 ppm(tap water is 300-400ppm), but even at 50-60 ppm the water around here will leave marks, so fitting an additional smaller filter, will remove the rest and the system will be a more economical solution to run.

Kind regards,

Ebbe
Mines always down to 0ppm from 360ppm mains supply.... Your resin is clearly no good.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the info lads. I'm over in N.Ireland, according to the local government site, I've got slightly hard to moderately hard water.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mines always down to 0ppm from 360ppm mains supply.... Your resin is clearly no good.
I use tulsion virgin MB, nothing wrong with the resin. After quite a few uses, the resin will begin to give you a higher output than 0 ppm. You could go ahead and change the 11 ltrs of resin, or you could add a smaller filter after the vessel to remove the few remaining minerals from the vessel's outlet.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I use tulsion virgin MB, nothing wrong with the resin. After quite a few uses, the resin will begin to give you a higher output than 0 ppm. You could go ahead and change the 11 ltrs of resin, or you could add a smaller filter after the vessel to remove the few remaining minerals from the vessel's outlet.

Kind regards,

Ebbe
Well thats slightly different to how your first post reads, it sounds like an 11 litre vessel doesnt produce 0ppm water, completely agree with what your saying maybe it would make more sense in the future to have a cartridge before the vessel taking most of the crap before going through the 11 litre.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have an RO and DI System at home, the water where I live is between 300-400 to knowledge and the RO just helps the DI a little so its not worked so hard and allowing the resin to last longer... I usually fill up 25L drums then put a hose into the drum rather than trying to suck straight through....

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Dubb, you'll need a TDS Meter to keep an eye on how your resin is doing and when to change the resin.
I have 2 11ltr (8"x17") DI Vessels to get the best use out of the resin.
Connect the first vessel, when tds rises, connect-up the second vessel in-line.
That first vessel (nearest mains tap) then acts as a pre filter for the second vessel, ensuring full use of the resin in vessel '1'.
When the tds in vessel '2' rises, refill vessel '1'.
Vessel '2' then becomes vessel '1' to act as the pre-filter for the vessel with the new resin in.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dubb, you'll need a TDS Meter to keep an eye on how your resin is doing and when to change the resin.
I have 2 11ltr (8"x17") DI Vessels to get the best use out of the resin.
Connect the first vessel, when tds rises, connect-up the second vessel in-line.
That first vessel (nearest mains tap) then acts as a pre filter for the second vessel, ensuring full use of the resin in vessel '1'.
When the tds in vessel '2' rises, refill vessel '1'.
Vessel '2' then becomes vessel '1' to act as the pre-filter for the vessel with the new resin in.
Just bought my first vessel and meter but this is my intention in a few months, the little extra cost of the vessel and resin as opposed to just the resin makes this a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Another tip is to only fill the resin to the shoulder (or just below) of the vessel.
The reason for this is....to ensure your using all the resin in the vessel.
When the TDS starts to creep-up, disconnect the vessel from in/out hoses but leave the head on. You can then give the vessel a shake and then roll the vessel on the floor to remix the resin, this will stop the incoming water making channels in the resin and in turn you will get more use out of the resin.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update lads, my TDS meter arrived from fleabay. Plus my vessel is on its way over, managed to get an 11L one and there's a chap over here who has the resin and can fill it for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.