Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it the advice is to pat dry with a microfibre towel rather than wipe across the surface? Then after its dry you use a microfibre cloth to buff qd or something similar off. Seems pretty much the same to the novice (me)

·
Registered
835 Posts
My take on it is this, by pat drying the car you have less chance of marring and scratching the paint work as it is bare paint. When u buff off a wax/polish or sealant u are buffing off the dried product that has been placed on the car and has a layer of protection underneath thus reducing the marring of the paintwork.

·
Registered
193 Posts
for me I use demon shine and swipe which I think is meant to help, but mainly to avoid spotting. Looks like it would take all day to dry patting.

But me no expert like the OP interested on peoples take on this.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My take on it is this, by pat drying the car you have less chance of marring and scratching the paint work as it is bare paint. When u buff off a wax/polish or sealant u are buffing off the dried product that has been placed on the car and has a layer of protection underneath thus reducing the marring of the paintwork.
That makes sense

·
Registered
297 Posts
The main reason for patting dry is, this is the stage that is most likely to still have some dirt on the paintwork (if your wash technique isnt 100%) and patting will not drag dirt over the paint.

wax/polish will offer no form of protection against marring ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
The main reason for patting dry is, this is the stage that is most likely to still have some dirt on the paintwork (if your wash technique isnt 100%) and patting will not drag dirt over the paint.

wax/polish will offer no form of protection against marring ;)
This was my understanding of it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've tried patting down after sheeting water off...maybe it was my expectation but it doesnt exactly soak the water up. More takes most of it but its not dry. Is it really a case of putting the towel on and then just pat and lift?

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
The best way to do this as far as i can tell, is to place the towel on the wet surfa e and gently rub your hand across the towel. This should soak up all but the very small amounts. But get some decent towels, the cheap ones from supermarkets are ok but good quality ones are so much better.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Drying is IMO the most laborious task in detailing, I can't stand it, got myself a metrovac blaster sidekick...it's awesome, drying still takes time but very little contact with the paint is required just a few dabs on some of the larger panels, like the roof , gets all the water out of all the crevasses etc too which like to drop out after you've put your towel away!
Highly recommend!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.