Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's obviously good fun to test all those homebrews. It's fantastic to see brewers becoming better and better, fine tuning their wax and turning it into something special.

But although pictures of nice beads are always fun to see, the performance is very important.
Unfortunately I do way to many reviews to really test a wax on its durability.

That's why I'm doing this test. This car belongs to my dad and never gets washed (unless I do it). He makes about 50km a day driving both in town and on the highway. He doesn't park his car underneath trees and he lives in a very normal, run-of-the-mill street.
Perfect canvas to do some durability testing on.

As usual I started with washing, claying, polishing and wiping down.
After this, I divided the hood in 6 areas and applied the 6 wax.
I checked each wax individually with a swipe-test, and used a different cloth and applicator pad for each wax.

I used Collinite 915 to as a basis. This is a wax that has proven itself many times in my opinion and has very good durability. Comparing it with this high performing wax will give each homebrew a good run for it's money.
Collinite doesn't give you the best looks, but might give the best (longest) protection.

From right to left:
Chocwork Orange
Son1c 38R
Collinite 915
Unknown wax
Jayr8 Obsession wax - Durability
Myself2x - Charm

I will try to update this thread on a weekly basis, but it might not always be exactly 7 days.

You can kinda see a very small difference in beads. If you look carefull you can see the part with Collinite on it (as it has very tight small beads).

Let's how this goes on.
I will keep this test running for about 3 months, but I very much doubt that any of these 6 wax will survive that long.

Small disclaimer, I'm looking for the performance of the wax itself. No pre-wax is used, and no QD will ever be used in the test. The car will only be washed with a neutral shampoo with no additives (like carnauba).
Otherwise you might wonder what you're looking at, beads from the QD or beads from the wax itself.

Thanks for watching.

Supervinnie40.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm also very curious. These 5 different homebrews are all quite good, so it will be good to see how it goes.
You never know, one of these might just give Collinite a good run for it's money :p.

We'll know a little bit more in a week.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No worries Son1c and myself2x, and thanks everybody.
I respect the time and effort homebrewers put in their products, and since they gave me a free sample I think it's only fair that I try to give them the best 'value for money'.

I would just like to add a little disclaimer (yes, another one :p ).
Some of the homebrewes that I used aren't the best that manufacturer has to offer. Son1c has vastly improved his homebrew, but since I don't have that improved version I used his older sample. (the same goes for all the other homebrewes).

If these homebrewes don't outperform Collinite 915, this does NOT make them bad products. It's just that the sample that I have didn't outperform it. Since homebrewers keep improving their recipes there is a good chance that their latest batch will perform better then the sample that I used in this test.

I just don't you guys to think that a wax is bad when it doesn't perform superbly good in this test. Give every homebrewer an honest chance, they've put a lot of time, money and effort into creating these products and don't have the resources that big companies (can) have.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Fully in agreement! Although this is a "new world" for me I have read a lot these topics in the past days which you probably have read over the time. But if you read them all in a row from the beginning you can easily see how big the evolution was.

Jay I ansiously expect your pot/s and will be more than willing to help out and give you my feedback and some nice pics.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Time for an update (movies are still uploading while I'm writing this...)

I didn't do anything special, just washed the car with a neutral non-carnauba shampoo, rinsed it off, dried it and made some foto's/movies.
That's all.

First the pictures:

Charm - Myself2x

Jayr8 Obsession wax - Durability

Unknown wax

Collinite 915

Son1c 38R

Chocwork Orange

Collinite 915 is performing very well, but the other waxes are doing quite good as well. Perhaps the sheeting will make a bit more difference.

I filmed the sheeting twice, because the part of the hood that gets made wet the last, will have a little bit more water on it then the rest. Doing it twice gives a more trustworthy result.

From left to right:
Charm - Obsession - Unknown - 915 - Son1c - Chocwork

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got some PM's that it was to difficult to tell where one wax ends and the other begins. So this Saturday I will try to use some tape to show the area for each wax.

Very curious to see how it goes. I'm trying to stay impartial ;).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.