Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me nuts and hopefully it’s an easy one for the knowledgable out there.

Bought some Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5w-30 that was going to chuck in the Qashqai but that has since been moved on.

The replacement is an F55 Cooper S.

Think that can use 0w-30 or 5w-30. It’s on low miles so I’m inclined to stick with 0w-30 for now.

BMW/Mini seem to have stitched things up with Shell who I think are their preferred supplier in that can only seem to buy LL04 approved Helix Ultra in 1 litre bottles or something ridiculous like 200 litres making an intermittent oil change between services dearer than it should be. Ideally seems I want Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0w-30 but can’t find that…in the UK which I’m sure is just coincidence. You can get ECT2/3 but that makes me nervous…which is it, how can it be both C2 and C3 rated?!?

The oil I’ve got is ACEA C3 rated but doesn’t seem to be LL04 rated. LL04 oil generally seems to be C3 rated. Is the Ultra Professional I’ve got going to be OK to use on the Mini?

Could I safely use it on mine an F31 335d?

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bung your reg numbers in tthe Opie Oils website and see what comes up as suitable ?
That's the frustrating thing…firstly they don't seem to list the one I've already got 10 litres of and secondly the C2/C3 they do list for the reg suggests it is LL04 compliant…but Shell's own table suggest not.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Your current oil is assessed against the GM oil standard. It's a pain comparing oils these days as Shell in particular seem to have a variant for Ford (AF), JLR (AJ-L) , VAG, BMW etc etc

OEMs are going thinner viscosity to assist economy/emissions figures. Even some mundane hatchbacks are quoting 0W20 !

And then you get the additive packages for DPF etc compliance - very confusing

If your Mini doesn't have the gas particulate filter then i think what you have will be fine to use.

Millers oils suggest a variety of oils ranging from 0-30to 5-40 in C2 to C6.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your current oil is assessed against the GM oil standard. It's a pain comparing oils these days as Shell in particular seem to have a variant for Ford (AF), JLR (AJ-L) , VAG, BMW etc etc

OEMs are going thinner viscosity to assist economy/emissions figures. Even some mundane hatchbacks are quoting 0W20 !

And then you get the additive packages for DPF etc compliance - very confusing

If your Mini doesn't have the gas particulate filter then i think what you have will be fine to use.

Millers oils suggest a variety of oils ranging from 0-30to 5-40 in C2 to C6.
Mine is still on low miles for the age and has had intermittent changes by me between services. Plan to keep doing that for both cars as long as we have them. Just being cheap not wanting to waste the 10 litres I've already got and not wanting to pay a premium to buy lots of one litre bottles with a BMW logo or Mini logo on. It's that blatant the exact same oil is cheaper if you buy the Mini 'branded' version over the BMW. And I'm convinced I'm a service the dealership will use whatever cheap rubbish they can get away with

Think I might just pass what I've got onto a relative and get a dedicated LL04 compliant oil. Mine is out of warranty but the Mrs isn't and don't want to give them any excuse. I've heard they send screen wash off for testing if the pump fails/blocks and reject claims based on not using approved screen wash so can only imagine what they'd be like over engine oil

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
if you are going to stick to the onboard computer calculated service interval, then i would stay on LL04.

but if you are changing early, i really cant see it making that much different.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you are going to stick to the onboard computer calculated service interval, then i would stay on LL04.

but if you are changing early, i really cant see it making that much different.
Will continue with the condition based servicing but drop the oil in between as well. Might go to 5w-30 as more choice/availability.

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
We use quantum 5w30 LL04 at work (Fuchs) it meets Minis spec - there probably 10 different oils that they say are suitable, when i had the clubman i'd run it on 5w30 C3 (LL04) shell helix, our F57 i just use the work oil - it costs me around £11, The thinner stuff tends to be used to boost economy figures, personally i'd stick with 5w30

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I believe if you are doing short journeys where the engine isn't at its full operating temperature for a period of time or even doesn't reach its normal operating temperature then the 0W would be better than the 5W during cold weather. It ought to help starting and running as it is less viscose. The 30 is the hot viscosity and being the same the oils should work the same once hot.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seem to remember reading that newer engines are happy with thinner oil but as they get older possibly wise to step up to a slightly thicker oil? I get why in colder weather a thinner oil makes sense as will get around the engine quicker but based on below would it make much difference between 0w and 5w?!?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
maybe i missed it, but what does the manual say regarding the oil weight?

i cant see it making much difference between 0w and 5w.

That said, if you look at that chart, it would have you believe 0w/30 and 10w40 would work equally well in the UK. But certainly cold, there is a marked diff in viscosity

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Be careful some engines are designed to run on very thin oil, “going up” can have negative influence on the flow through the smaller bores.
It used to be a thing to “go up” in older type engines to compensate for the wear.
Modern engines have tighter tolerances and less wear.
Not many quality modern engines burn oil.
Except some German manufacturer who tried to tell me that a litre of oil every 600 mile is acceptable.
After a year fighting they put a brand new engine in it, that funny enough never used a drop.

While we may think it looks like water, many hours in design studios and laboratories have decided that the chosen oil is the best compromise in wear, flow, cooling and lubrication.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's just really annoying. To get approved LL04 0w-30 Shell, l'll have to buy in 1 litre bottles or 209 litres in one go. That means looking at around £12 a litre v £8 or less if you get Helix Ultra ECT 3 5w-30 which is still LL04 approved.

Why would a manufacturer for oil across BMW and Mini range (bar genuine M cars) produce in 1 litre or 209 litres only. Just greed and a complete stitch up.

I want to use Shell and looks like going to get kicked for doing so

·
Registered
603 Posts
It's just really annoying. To get approved LL04 0w-30 Shell, l'll have to buy in 1 litre bottles or 209 litres in one go. That means looking at around £12 a litre v £8 or less if you get Helix Ultra ECT 3 5w-30 which is still LL04 approved.

Why would a manufacturer for oil across BMW and Mini range (bar genuine M cars) produce in 1 litre or 209 litres only. Just greed and a complete stitch up.

I want to use Shell and looks like going to get kicked for doing so
And to make things more confusing BMW USA have moved back to Castrol from Shell as the OE oil! Before Shell is was Castrol !
Note also that some BMW engines, particularly petrol ones moved to LL12 / LE12 (E=economy, at least for milage if not for engine longevity..)
It's most confusing an annoying as maufacturers swap oil statndards / oil manufacturers may not pay the car manufactures for the oil type 'approval'

FYI . attachments for BM Oil info and oils from numerous manufacturers.
Apparently a ".xls" file type is not allowed for upload so had to create the xls.pdf doc.

PS liking the file upload facility in the new forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
I used 5W-30 LL04 oil from BM Stores - £19.99 for 4 litre containers when I did my last interim change - I always use BMW sourced filters though.
Hi, mmm,
I also do interim OCs, either ~9kmiles or 12months which ever comes first, before the BM ~18000m/24m any known issues with Mahle (< same part no.s! >) Knecht, Mann, Hengst, which I think are frequently OEM for BMW, then the likes of Bosch, Febi/BluePrint ? Although myself only used the formers, unless I can get a deal on BMW OE, and avoiding the chineese variety, althought no sure where BMW OE is made, which may well be china :-(.

Although I generally use Mobile 1 / Castrol Edge, although am considering Motul (MOTUL 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W-40) and Fuchs (TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 SAE 5W-30 (XTL) although they list a couple of 'Flex 5w30' alternatives.
Generally though knowing which is the 'best' oil is a nightmare. Most of the manufacturers seem to have multiple option which also doesn't help, it makes one wonder if there's just a bit of lable swapping going on?
E.g. Castrol putting Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL first above their Castrol EDGE 5W-30 M which is supposed to be the 'BMW' oil !! and not mentioning their Castrol EDGE 5W-40 M oil.
Generally though its the later number that's just giving a higher viscosity oil (more protection but more 'drag') at running temps, although there ther dearded particulate filters and the 'low ash' /saps oils - C2 / C3 which generally reduce the phosphorous content which also where a lot of protection coms from - ever seen a 'race' oil witha low phosphorus contant - nope!

???
And on this new site where has the 'dunno' smiley gone !

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
The oil I mentioned above ^^ is branded as "RAC" but as long as it conforms to LL-04 [which it does] it'd do for my old Beemer. I've had similar in the past with different branding and all serve the same purpose. (y)

If sourcing non-BMW parts it generally stick with Mahle where possible as I know they're on the OEM lists.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts