Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an autobrite Foam lance with a Nilfisk quick connector to connect to my Honda Petrol Powered Jet wash.

Connected it all up and set it away.

The problem appeared immediately - the foam lance was spurting/squirting with pulses of foam - at the same time the engine speed was surging then slowing in time with the pulses??

I tried changing the engine speed - all the way from idle up to full power - and the pulses remained - albeit the frequency did change..??

I tried all the different jet setting on the Autobrite lance and adjusted the concentration of the bottle - but all to no avail??

Any ideas what it might be???? I was hoping for a nice steady stream of foam - at the minute I have something that looks quite rude!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had this happen with my jet wash, albeit mine is an electric one but I eventually swapped it for another. There is a known issue with karcher jet washers. I'd say with your jet wash check the water pressure is strong enough, does it do it without the snow lance, does it do it with just water in the snow lance? Shorten the water supply hose to the jet wash. Does the hose have those silly water-stop valves on each end? If so, remove those.

Hope some of the above helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - but with the normal lance on I have no issues whatsoever - and any amount of pressure (probably more that an electric one if I want I guess?)- with loads of water flow?? Never had an issue until the foam lance was fitted - then this pulsing issue??

·
Millionth DW Poster
5,289 Posts
It's nothing to do with the hose attachments as the op states that it works perfectly fine with the other foam lance just not the autobrite lance.

99% of the time, if the lance is producing poor foam or is pulsing then the filter gauze needs either cleaned out or replaced. As silly this may sound being a new lance this does happen where the lance has sat for a long period of time in storage that the gauze can get clogged up same with the internals. Seen it happen before many times. Email autobrite and see if they would send you a gauze out of good will

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hmm, I had this pulsing with a karcher, What I think was happening is the foam lance its self restricts the output, causing the presure to rise, which the presure washer was interpreting as if the lance was 'off', only for a fraction of a second before the presure droped - a sort of on / off / on thing.
What I did was enlarge the nozzle opening, which iirc wa 1.3mm to 1.35mm (by use of a drill !) and voila, problem fixed!

I think the smaller nozzle was just causing enough momentary back pressure to trip the pressure switch in the PW.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys - as said above it doesn't have anything to do with the Hozelock connectors (all are straight through)....or water pressure...as we have plenty....and the JW works fine on the normal lance?

Tried again today - and if anything it was worse.......I tired every combination of engine setting on the JW....every combination of the outlet adjuster and the foam dilution/mix.....in all cases it was just spurting - making it very difficult to get a consistent foam or a good coverage?

I am at a loss - I think I will send the lance back to Autobrite...and maybe try a different make???

I don't think it's an issue with a pressure switch on the JW. It's a petrol powered Alto/Nilfisk model......and you set the engine speed - and that dictates the power level.....the engine stays at whatever speed you set it at - irrespective of whether you have the trigger pulled or not......I don't think therefore that there is a pressure switch anywhere in the unit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Strange thing this happened to me as well yesterday when snowfoaming the car, eventually it started working fine. My foam lance is brand new, actually that was the 2nd time it was ever used...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
It is highly possible lances that spurt and pulse have taken some dirt from the washer into the lance itself. This causes the pw to build up pressure and shut off. If you unscrew the bulkhead bolt from the lance, a small jet can be seen. Remove this with a flat screwdriver and examine the jet for dirt. Once clear you should be good to go. It does not take long so worth a go if your lance plays up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.