Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DW's Biggest Thread Starter & Moderator
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what my fellow caravaners are doing this year with the ever rising costs of fuel
Is it affecting where you book & go?

When I was towing it roughly halfed the fuel consumption of my X3
Towing around 26mpg - Not towing (same journey) - 52mpg

As you may remember (or not as the case may be :LOL:) we put our van on a seasonal pitch last November for 12 months so luckily the towing mpg is not affecting us at the mo
We had planned for12 months but thats looking as tho it may be extended
However I have cancelled our proposed 2 week stay at Eye Kettleby Lakes in September this year
It just seemed ridiculous paying twice

Altho' I appreciate a seasonal pitch does have its disadvantages it does 'work' for us at the mo

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Just wondering what my fellow caravaners are doing this year with the ever rising costs of fuel
Is it affecting where you book & go?

When I was towing it roughly halfed the fuel consumption of my X3
Towing around 26mpg - Not towing (same journey) - 52mpg

As you may remember (or not as the case may be :LOL:) we put our van on a seasonal pitch last November for 12 months so luckily the towing mpg is not affecting us at the mo
We had planned for12 months but thats looking as tho it may be extended
However I have cancelled our proposed 2 week stay at Eye Kettleby Lakes in September this year
It just seemed ridiculous paying twice

Altho' I appreciate a seasonal pitch does have its disadvantages it does 'work' for us at the mo
I'd say no, I've commented on a few social media posts saying I'd rather miss a few takeaways and beers before I cut down on the van trips. Mental health, relaxation etc can ease the stress of the cost of living.

Saying that, we're off to South Wales weekend after next from here in N Wales. Originally had planned Dorset but changed for a quicker journey time, fuel costs were mentioned by the good lady but I wasn't too concerned. We're on about 5 trips a year so not huge, if we were away every weekend I think I'd be more concerned.

·
Super Moderator
8,469 Posts
Yep, cannot justify £200 in diseasel if not more, got one last trip booked where it might not be so bad but Devon and back and Dorset and back would have been £200 plus per trip and i cannot justify that in any way shape or form.

The cost is dropping but it’s still the best part of £2 a litre round here

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
We've hired another campervan this year. It was a good deal on the hire that offsets the cost of diesel.

At low 20mpg and £9 a gallon I don't think we will go quite as far as we could.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The fuel cost wouldn't stop our 800 mile round trip to Dorset, but due to the Wifey's health we have had to cancel a few of this years trips.
We will be going on our first trip of the year on the 24th July, having a week at Blue Rose Touring Park near Hornsea on the North Yorkshire coast. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
We've hired another campervan this year. It was a good deal on the hire that offsets the cost of diesel.

At low 20mpg and £9 a gallon I don't think we will go quite as far as we could.
You will be buying one soon ......

It hasn't put us off yet, the Mondeo seem's to average 28mpg at the moment.

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
You will be buying one soon ......

It hasn't put us off yet, the Mondeo seem's to average 28mpg at the moment.
It has fallen well down the consideration list at the moment. We are moving house next month. We are hiring the van the week between moving out of here and into the new house. It is getting tense as we've not finalised our deal yet.

The company I was working for closed the factory in March. I've been having a break the last few months. I'll need to think about doing some work.

Anyone need their car washed? 😀

It's a Roller Team T Line 740 this time. I hope it's a bit better than the Swift we hired before. It's on the same Fiat platform, but hopefully it's not as noisy with so many rattles.

Last time I looked prices were still crazy. Vans a few years old were going for more than new.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
Prices are still stupid, we could sell our wobble box for the same price we paid for it a year ago.

as for the rattles ….. you will always hear the plates rattle in a motor home

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
Prices are still stupid, we could sell our wobble box for the same price we paid for it a year ago.

as for the rattles ….. you will always hear the plates rattle in a motor home
It was so much more than that. The entire structure creaked and rattled. The engine was so loud.

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
:D
It's a Roller Team T Line 740 this time. I hope it's a bit better than the Swift we hired before. It's on the same Fiat platform, but hopefully it's not as noisy with so many rattles.
Picked the van up yesterday. We had booked the van for the week between moving out of old house and getting the keys to our new house. We are just staying at local camps as we need to be able to get home very quickly if required, but that's another story.

I thought by the website the van was a brand new van. I was a bit annoyed to find it was a 2014 van and showing lots of signs of wear and tear. The van is tired and in need of a refresh. So many things like windows, door locks, sliding blinds are all broken. The hand over took and hour mostly to go over faults, previous damage and workarounds.

It was advertised as having two TVs. The advert didn't mention there was absolutely zero chance you'd manage to get a signal to the TVs.

He did hand us a roll of Gorilla tape and said we would need that. :D That he was right about.

At 8 years old and 55,000 miles I wouldn't expect to see so many issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,469 Posts
Well i checked the average fuel consumption on the Kia the other day from when we last towed the 'van.
16mpg.

No, that isn't a misprint

16mpg.

During daily use on a 46 mile round trip for the misses, she averages 34mpg.

Our Mazda 3 that i use daily, i am currently averging 41mpg. I cannot justify towing a caravan to either Dorset or Devon when i will only get 16mpg. First chance i get, that flippin Kia is going.

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
Well i checked the average fuel consumption on the Kia the other day from when we last towed the 'van.
16mpg.

16mpg.

Our Mazda 3 that i use daily, i am currently averging 41mpg. I cannot justify towing a caravan to either Dorset or Devon when i will only get 16mpg. First chance i get, that flippin Kia is going.
Ouch, that’s got to sting at 16mpg !

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
16mpg.

16mpg.

What's your Kia? My new to me Sportage was advertised by garage at 46mpg(i know that might be slightly exaggerated). Normal driving whether motorway or towns etc I can't get it over 34. Towed the van about 300 miles last week and it was showing 29mpg. It is off back to garage with a misfire/fuel issue so I'll be interested to see if it improves. 29 towing I'm ok with but 34 normal doesn't seem good. 2l diesel AWD 2014 it is.

·
Super Moderator
8,469 Posts
What's your Kia? My new to me Sportage was advertised by garage at 46mpg(i know that might be slightly exaggerated). Normal driving whether motorway or towns etc I can't get it over 34. Towed the van about 300 miles last week and it was showing 29mpg. It is off back to garage with a misfire/fuel issue so I'll be interested to see if it improves. 29 towing I'm ok with but 34 normal doesn't seem good. 2l diesel AWD 2014 it is.
Pretty much the same but 2019 model and you wont ever get 46 out of it, unless you are coasting downhill with a strong tailwind. But yep, 16mpg. Not impressed and the local Kia sales manager comes to the shop below us and wonders why i am not enthusiastic about the new one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts