Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend got carpro galss sealant put on his windshield got his car serviced and the main dealer put screen wash in the bottle now the hydrophobicity is gone.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
probably won't be gone. but lots of screenwashes contain surfactants that will alter or hide the hydrophobic properties of the glass sealant. try diluting the screenwash with some RO-water.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
You wouldn't put this in your Screenwash bottle in your though would you?

What is the best thing to use as screenwash for cleaning your windows on the move with your wipers, that won't strip wax etc?
I would guess the Optimum would be rubbish as a screen wash. I just use any old screen wash, the VAG stuff is nice as is Autoglyms but I have no idea about if they are LSP safe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect. http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=929, not tried it but it does appear to be designed to specifically clean and protect a glass sealant. Not cheap though.
i've just had a second go with flyby30 after the first application wore off in a couple of days. without using screen wash either. 2nd application has been better but not great - 3 coats and well over an hour with a heat gun to try and cure, and it's still not great. it's only been on a week and a half, and i can already see degradation in it's performance. it's only been washed once (megs gold class), and i've specifically avoided using any screenwash since application, and the rain run off is slowing down, i.e. need to go quicker before it bleeds water off.
the carpro blurb actually suggests not to use standard screen wash due to the surfactants in it affecting the coating. rather, you should use an IPA solution in your washer bottle instead.
as one of the other posts said, the flyby30 seems hit and miss. some people think its great, others not so. personally, my experience means i'll try something else instead in future, as it's performance hasn't been worth the hassle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.