Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Jokes Man
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had cause to replace a dipped headlight bulb on the girlfriends Kia Pro Ceed, and found it was a bit of a bind getting my hand behind and down past the battery, and as I was doing this I started to realize why so many idiots are driving around with just one light, for weeks at a time before replacing them, "3 on my street alone" :censored: who I wonder has the hardest job simply to replace a bulb in the front of their car ?? my Fiesta is easy N/S, but can be a devil on the offside,:( and my Astra Van is another relatively easy swap, but I have heard of some cars where it's nearly major surgery to swap the bulbs over, which cars are worst do you think?? :confused:

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
I had to do my headlights on my BMW E92 a few months back.

Since they are Xenon you have to do both at once or you are highly likely to have a colour difference.

You need to jack the car up, best to remove front wheel and remove the inner wheel arch lining just to get access to the light.

Doing it myself it wasn't a mile short of 2 hours to do both sides. Totally unacceptable.

What happens in the countries where it is an offence when you don't carry spares and change them immediately?

Lazily before I done them myself I spoke to a local garage. He had just done the bulbs on a Audi A6 or A8, can't remember which. The garage as a guide said his bulbs were £170 each plus 2 hours labour to change.

About £450 for a pair of light bulbs fitted? Gulp!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Manufacturers have to make extra on cars as price of cars has dropped over time . they'll screw us on parts
Even My BMW k1200gt is a nightmare to change bulbs . have to strip down the front of the bike .
Use it for commuting now the Mustang GT is in hibernation over winter lol

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Renault megane 1.9 ...was a right pain that one, big hand through a wee small hole was not working. Ended up taking the arch liner off at the front, tied it back a bit so I could get access. Then it was trying to figure out how the bulb was held in, which is some form of clip you cant really see ...took about 2 hours ...never again !!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
im a mechanic and fit around 20-30 bulbs a day. iv had people refuse to pay 18 euro for a quality brand bulb and the labour involved to fit a renault bulb. 2 days later they're back in with a red raw hand with cut marks and a new bulb not in a box that look of defeat on there face in only surpassed by the look when you tell them your not using the bulb they're giving because its covered in oily fingerprints and its gonna blow next week :D

·
The Jokes Man
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:doublesho After those horror story's, I think I'll just suffer the couple of minutes of wrist twisting on the three cars I look after, :eek: seems I've got off light!!:rolleyes:

see what I did there?? :D

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Bulbs on 407s aren't too bad. The clips on the main beams are a bit fiddly though.
On the subject of bulbs, I have noticed recently a lot of cars with non functioning indicator bulbs. Was there a massive batch of dodgy ones go out at some point?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Bulbs on 407s aren't too bad. The clips on the main beams are a bit fiddly though.
On the subject of bulbs, I have noticed recently a lot of cars with non functioning indicator bulbs. Was there a massive batch of dodgy ones go out at some point?
haha, mines easy to, along with indicators i see most have looked on teh calendar and decided its fog light time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.