Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Merc C180 W203, it has plastic healights and the plastic has gone hazey more towads the tops discoluored and lots of fine surface marks/rough.

I've seen a few bits on people restoring them, sanding the surface with 500->3000 grit, then finally polishing them.

Few Question hope someone can help with -

1- I have a Das 6 pro, whats the smallest backing plate you can get for these machines
2- Whats the best polish to use?
3- What small pad to get for polish?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I use a DA6 Pro as well and restore headlights quite often. Use a 3" backing plate and a suitable pad (I use a Menzerna 80mm orange polishing pad). For compounds, just use whatever you have buddy. :) I use Megs 101 and finish with 205.

·
Registered
3 Posts
headlight restoration

i do about 3 - 4 headlight restorations a week and i have found the cheapest and best results come from wet sanding with 800 then 2000 before buffing with g3 the go over with 3m fine compound they come out like brand new every time

·
Registered
655 Posts
What the lenses are made from i'd guess^
Any lamp had a layer of clear coat, if this coat is poor quality it starts to yellowing after 5-7 years, not coated plastic or if lamp was sanded and polished, plastic start to yellowing after 6-8 month. So after correction wax lamps offen.:thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone I picked up a small backing plate and acouple 80cm pads.

I understand they need the surface sealing again afterwards to protect from UV, I have some G4 trimm restorer left which says it protects from UV do you think this is ok on clear plastic or do they need clear coating which will be a pain cos I plan to leave the headlights in car.

G

·
Thanks everyone I picked up a small backing plate and acouple 80cm pads.

I understand they need the surface sealing again afterwards to protect from UV, I have some G4 trimm restorer left which says it protects from UV do you think this is ok on clear plastic or do they need clear coating which will be a pain cos I plan to leave the headlights in car.
If you mean C4 then this will be a good way of protection for the headlights as it what i use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.