Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to give my subaru a coat of paint in the rear arches. At the moment there original paint which is in pritty good condition. Would it be best to give them a light sanding apply some zinc primer? stonechip and then base colour?
Always done other arches in hammerite before but want a slight better finish.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The arches should be sanded down before application of primers/paint etc as it keys the panel and therefore stops whichever product you use from peeling or flaking off.

·
DW's 'Mr. Helpful'
14,893 Posts
The Choice is yours, i can see the merit of sanding but if its already textured as a lot of cars are i dont know about yours that would be one hell if a lot of sanding to get teh surface flat i certainly wood not.

Never had any peel running cars all year round for many years and thats with power washer at full blast cleaning the arches.

Just depends how much work you want to put in.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend of mine recently done his and give them a light sanding just to remove any surface rust. I suppose it would give the primer a key

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd want to give them some kind of key personally.

Rather than sanding, a rub over with a scuff pad would suffice and would get into any existing texture more easily. Something like a red 3M Scotchbrite or Mirka Mirlon pad. Ideally used wet / damp with a proper flatting paste to clean as you go, but a squirt of your coarsest compound would work instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.