Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a DAS-6 Pro with Hex Logic Orange and White pads and Megs 105 and 205. I used the Orange pad with Megs 105 to smooth out the paintwork on my bonnet and it worked really well. I managed to get a good, flat shine.

I then wanted to finish the polishing with the White pad and the Megs 205. I put four tiny blobs on the pad and started to polish but I couldn't get the product to buff into a gloss finish. It just seemed to stay on the paintwork, even after a full hour of polishing. I just got heavy marring on the paintwork.

What did I do wrong? It's raining now so I can't go out to have another go.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Yeah, went out after the rain and mopped the water off and buffed with an MF and all was well. I actually redid the polishing at a higher speed. I must have used a bit too much polish originally.

I was under the mistaken impression that the polishing pad on the DA would do the buffing.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
^ Yeah, went out after the rain and mopped the water off and buffed with an MF and all was well. I actually redid the polishing at a higher speed. I must have used a bit too much polish originally.

I was under the mistaken impression that the polishing pad on the DA would do the buffing.
It will 'buff' the paint as in polish it but ul need to remove the residue after, should be an easy job as 205 cleans up well
Try with half the amount of polish u used next time and see how it goes.
If not right then try more/less.
Less being best

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Yes, I will invest in some different pads. I bought the DAS-6 Pro kit from CYC so got the Orange and White with it.

Still, it was a great experience and after about 2-3 hours, I was pretty confident chucking the DAS-6 around!

I'll be doing two more cars over the next few weeks so will get a bit more practice in. Today was my first time ever in using a machine polisher.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've had M205 finish perfectly with a White LC CCS pad, so I don't think black vs white is the issue. All polishes need to be wiped off, and more importantly wiped with IPA/panel Wipe to remove their oils to see the true correction. M205 is a fantastic polish, you should have no issues with it. I have found 3 dots perfect for DA application.

·
king of the flexonian
12,485 Posts
It sounds like you were expecting the product to disappear? If thats the case then i think the mistake is on the feedback from the product. It doesn't go away or disappear, it isn't like a cheap hand polish.
If you use your white pad, 4 blobs again, spread around your work area (about 2 feet by 2 feet max)work for a few minutes at speed 5 then a few minutes at speed 3, then use a very soft plush micro fibre towel (not old rag or t shirt etc) to lift off and remove the product left on the panel. Don't use pressure or massive strokes, just light small wipes until you have done the whole area,flip it and do it again, then check the results. This should leave a high gloss finish for sure,it should be a tangible difference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.