Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I woke up to a lovely sunny day and decided to give the car a good clean and wax ready for winter; I've had vinyl racing roundels the doors and bonnet for the Summer and as they were looking tatty I thought I'd take those off at the same time. Anyway, drivers door came off ok with a bit of residue but when I got started on the passenger door my heart sank as I realised the clear-coat was peeling off with the vinyl! By that point there was little I could do so went ahead and peeled off the rest leaving two big lacquer free patches in the middle of the door - gutted.

For the bonnet I wised up (a bit) and used a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive, but that brought about problem number two, the roundel came off easily but left ALL of the glue on my bonnet - it took over an hour of hard graft with WD40 to remove it - not a good day for my 5 :(.

So it leaves me with two problems that I need to fix and therefore two questions:

1. Can anybody recommend a spray/body-shop in/near Surrey or SW London? And does anybody know whether it is likely to be a re-lacquer or a full door respray and/or what the cost should be?

2. My bonnet and drivers door are now covered in WD40 which is proving to be a massive pain to remove; any ideas on how to get-rid, I wondered about a concentrated washing-up liquid solution to cut through the oiliness?

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

·
Registered
930 Posts
Tardis would have been perfect for the job. Try a strong apc or degreaser to remove the wd40 washing up liquid should do the job but make sure to seal the panels that arent getting sprayed.
Have a look at the regional section on here for a paint shop

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll give the fairy liquid a try as money is tight! As soon as it's all off I'll re polish and wax.

Thanks for the tip re the regional section, have posted on there.

Cheers
Charlie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.