Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all from Durham and I drive a mk5 gti :driver: I've just got into this detailing business and I'm planning on getting just some wax on the car at the weekend to protect it from the the winter roads.

I've leant so much in a short time but still one or two things I need to know to get the basics. Don't really want to start a new thread as my questions are simple so il try here first :thumb:

1. Is Collinites 476s ok to use on a white car?
2. Do I need to wet the foam applicator before I start to wax?
3. If I want to add say 2 layers of wax do I do each panel then buff the wax off then apply another layer of wax then buff of again to get 2layers or do I apply one layer then add another then buff off?

Please bare with me hope you can help :thumb:

Thanks

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Welcome to DW.
Collinite 476s will be fine for a white car. I would just give the applicator a mist with water so that it is very slightly damp. To apply the wax do two panels then buff off the first panel, then do another panel then buff off the second panel and so on till you have done the whole car. repeat the process for a second layer. Remember and apply the wax very thinly. Some users of Collinite prefer to apply to the whole car then buff off but it's not my preference.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Bill has covered your queries very well. Remember, 476 can be a ***** to remove, so be careful how long you wait before removing it.

Also, wait about 24 hours before applying the second coat.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Wax needs some time to cure - can range from 12 - 24 hours. If you spply before that, you risk removing some of the earlier layer, and lose the benefits from layering.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the welcome :thumb:

So if I apply the wax tomorrow and I want to apply the 2nd coat on Sunday to allow it to cure would just a snow foam and dry be good enough before applying the 2nd coat or is there more you guys do?

One last question and I mean it this time ha I'm not going to apply any polish as I'm just wanting the car protected for the winter so if I just apply wax without a Polish does the wax still bond to the paint just as well without polish or is the wax less durable without any polish?

·
DW Supporter
6,147 Posts
Cheers for the welcome :thumb:

So if I apply the wax tomorrow and I want to apply the 2nd coat on Sunday to allow it to cure would just a snow foam and dry be good enough before applying the 2nd coat or is there more you guys do?

One last question and I mean it this time ha I'm not going to apply any polish as I'm just wanting the car protected for the winter so if I just apply wax without a Polish does the wax still bond to the paint just as well without polish or is the wax less durable without any polish?
Technically the correct process would be to prepare the paint properly - wash/decontaminate, some form of surface prep product, be it a paint cleanser, panel wipe, filler heavy polish/glaze then apply the Collinite.

Having said that if you are looking to apply a couple of layers of Collinite, why not buy some Autoglym Super Resin polish, apply this to act as your surface prep, then apply 2 layers of Collinite straight after (leaving an hour before 2nd application):thumb:

You have to work smart in this weather & the above can all be done in one session no problem..leaving you with a well protected car:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The plan was to foam, wash, iron x, clay then wax. I'm not after a shiny/perfect finsh I just want the car protected for the winter and just top up the wax every couple of washes through out the winter using a spray type top up. Then when the spring comes il be more interested in making it look great.

So your suggesting auto glym super resin as a surface prep but is this needed for what I'm wanting?

·
DW Supporter
6,147 Posts
The plan was to foam, wash, iron x, clay, SRP then wax. I'm not after a shiny/perfect finsh I just want the car protected for the winter and just top up the wax every couple of washes through out the winter using a spray type top up. Then when the spring comes il be more interested in making it look great.

So your suggesting auto glym super resin as a surface prep but is this needed for what I'm wanting?
:thumb:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So do I just add one coat of SRP to the car? I'm confused to the time scale to leave it. So SRP on then wait........then apply 1st layer off Collinites then wait......before 2nd layer? Can you fill in on the dotted lines :D

I did a quick search on google to fine out why to add a surface prep before wax but not found anything useful.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Firstly there's no such thing as stupid questions, only things you don't know yet. SRP doesn't layer as its a polish but no harm in 2 coats to make sure you don't miss any bits.
Not used Collie but advice above is remove 1st coat allow 1 hour to cure then second coat.
OK to put 1st coat straight on after removing SRP:thumb:

PS welcome aboard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.