Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems my window cleaner has dragged his hose across my car bonnet.

There is scratching and marring in the paintwork. I'm certain it was done by accident and he may not have realised he's even done it.

I'm sure I can polish most, if not all of it out but I recently spent a week machine polishing the whole car!

Water Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Azure
Water Liquid Sky Automotive lighting Hood

Water Hood Azure Asphalt Lake

Registered
Unbelievable. He's be run off and replaced if me. How can you trust having anyone with access to your gaff if they have no respect, or a clue?
From the pics it doesn't look too bad, just think of it as practice 馃ゴ

Registered
I bet if you confront your window cleaner about it, its the fact he'll deny it and wont ever think he's done everything wrong. To most how we wash our cars, he thinks using the same mop on the wheels is fine for your paintwork.

Wonder if you tried to explain to him that its like using the same water in one bucket and 'clean' on all windows for all of the clients windows on one day will resonate with his thought process?

Registered
As Goat said - be polite, give the benefit of the doubt about it this time round but if it happens again I'd be thinking of employing another window cleaner. Maybe move your car out the way for the next visit if you know when he is coming?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The company I use often send different people each time. This is the message I sent them.

"The guy that cleaned my windows today appears to have dragged his hose across my car bonnet. I don't believe it was intentional and it may well have slid back off before he could see it but it has left scratches and marring to the paintwork. I am happy to see if machine polishing will fix it, as I can do it myself, but I thought I'd let you know just in case it requires professional attention later on. I can send pictures if required."

Registered
Happened to me within a week of getting my last Alfa. Parked it on the Sunday night and it was unmarked then on the Tuesday my dad was up and showing him the car when I noticed a decent scratch on the sill which I noticed straight away and 100% sure it wasn't there when I parked it. Car was 4 days old I was gutted! Window cleaner had been in on the monday and where the car was parked on my drive nobody else could've done it.

He denied it but I cancelled him only downside now is I have to wash the windows myself :LOL:

Mr Sparkle
the hundreds of times ive been around a car with a hose i cant think ive accidently had a hose pipe leap up and drag over the bonnet , stop making excuses for them , its careless and pig ignorant , ner old car mate dont matter innit

Registered
Your reply to them was fine, I'd be surprised if they offered to pay for any damage but I am confused as to how you drag a hose over a car "accidentally"? Even using the brushes on poles these days, the hose is still trailing on the ground.

Registered
Well I鈥檓 going out on a limb but my opinion is that took some serious effort to do that and I鈥檓 sure he knew all about it. Another guess from the pattern of the marks is he got a kink in the hose and was whipping the hose to untangle it.

Mr Sparkle
thing is you can go around doing this as you please as 99.9% dont care and wont notice , its only us wierdos that look after stuff

see it at the filling stations...fuel hose dragged over the car or the airline for pumping up tyres

i hope youve told them to not come back

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a little diagram I knocked up to show where the van is normally parked and where the hose has to go. I saw the guy pulling on the hose when he was trying to get more hose to get it around the back of my house. He needs at least 90m of hose to do this and has to go around my neighbours house. It was snagging on the fence when I saw him pulling it.
Plant Line Urban design Tree Motor vehicle

Registered
IF you end up keeping him then I'd deffo be moving the car before he does it again. Or help him get the hose in and out of his van as he walks it round the back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IF you end up keeping him then I'd deffo be moving the car before he does it again. Or help him get the hose in and out of his van as he walks it round the back.
It's often a different guy or guys each time each time. They have a big team of blokes doing it. Sometimes single crewed doing front and back, sometimes double crewed, one doing the front and the other doing the back.

I think the issue was definitely down to the hose getting snagged and being single crewed, he was tugging at it and probably whipped it to loosen it further down the line which looped it over the bonnet.

They always text the day before so I might well move the car from now on.

I polished the car yesterday and the scratches all came out which is good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts