Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to the polishing game, have polished my car and a friends so far using my DAS-6 and Menzerma compound/finishing compound and sealed with Collinite 476. Now I was just wondering now I have done this once to get rid of swirls etc, how often if at all, should I us the machine again? Do I do it by hand from now on or do I just use the finishing compound with the machine so it's not so aggressive? What would be your normal wash routine now after the initial first corrective polish?
Thanks very much guys
Paul

·
Registered
834 Posts
For my personal car, I do a full machine correction. I do my upmost to maintain it correctly, if I can't clean it properly I don't clean it.

When I do my spring prep I find a single stage with a finishing polish is ample. You should only need to cut it once unless you pick up scratches

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
As above really, an ultra fine finishing polish on a finishing pad and zero pressure can really ramp up the gloss and hardly cut at all. Just do that occasionally when you feel the need and you'll not need to go through the whole prosses again. I can't see the point in leaving it too long personally.

There's stacks of info about wash routines on here but tbh it's all about common sense more than anything :thumb:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I've spent a lot of hours machining my car. It still has plenty of paint left on (according to the paint guage). However, I don't intend to have to do anything major on it unless I get a scratch as someone above said. I will use a machine to clean the paint every year or so from now before re-applying wax etc.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
About once a year or two for me, using a finishing polish to get rid of the marring, light wash swirls, and to bling it back up to how it should be.

Most times just a pre-wax cleaner on a polishing pad will remove all defects. The more times you use a pre-wax cleaner and change up your LSP (like most of us like to do), the less need for a polish.

This is why a DA is great for people only detailing their own cars. Once your car is perfect, just use your DA for pre-wax cleaners, waxing, sealing, etc. Very handy!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
About once a year or two for me, using a finishing polish to get rid of the marring, light wash swirls, and to bling it back up to how it should be.

Most times just a pre-wax cleaner on a polishing pad will remove all defects. The more times you use a pre-wax cleaner and change up your LSP (like most of us like to do), the less need for a polish.

This is why a DA is great for people only detailing their own cars. Once your car is perfect, just use your DA for pre-wax cleaners, waxing, sealing, etc. Very handy!
I don't have a DA but have a Dewalt rotary. I plan to compound/correct once using multi stage process and then follow every 3 months with a pre wax cleanser as mentioned by you.

Does it make any difference if I use a rotary instead of a DA?

·
Registered
433 Posts
As with others tend to just give it a polish if there is scratches on it or every 6-8 months depending on my mood.

I would usually tackle 1-2 panels each time as you can really spend the whole weekend on the car.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I don't have a DA but have a Dewalt rotary. I plan to compound/correct once using multi stage process and then follow every 3 months with a pre wax cleanser as mentioned by you.

Does it make any difference if I use a rotary instead of a DA?
I use the dewalt rotary . its a great tool. Being dewalt it will last a long time .

With good wash techniques... once a year or every 2 years...a light enhancement is usually only needed . remember you only have a finite thickness of clear coat to polish. Once it's too thin you'll need a respray of clearcoat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.