Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Its been a really long time since I've been active on here, I got into motorbikes about 10 years ago and didn't have a car for a long time, but in September of last year i crashed my motorbike and nearly killed myself, but luckily after an air ambulance ride and a 4 month stay in hospital, i'm on the mend, amongst loads of other injuries, I managed to break my left leg in 3 places which means i will never ride a motorbike again sadly, and I cant drive a manual car either (I cant press a clutch)

So I've bought myself a 2015 BMW 520d automatic in grey and now find myself wanting to get it clean and shiny, (the detailing bug is returning!!) Its got a fair few scratches that i need to touch in, then denib, then sand back and polish (I think that's how you do it) I think from my research that BMW's traditionally have quite hard paint around that year, so it might take me a few weeks of 2 hour sessions to get it polished as its quite a big car and my injuries and tiredness issues are slowing me down on things like this.

I imported a Porter Cable 7424 about 16 years ago and have used it on and off over the years, but I cant carry the 110v transformer as i cant carry anything heavy due to my broken leg, I also cant bend over for any length of time, but have bought a wheeled mechanics seat that i can get round the car on to polish it

So I thought its time to treat myself to a new polisher, and I think I've narrowed it down to a choice between the Shinemate EX620 15mm or the Auto Finesse DPX 15mm and wondered if anyone on here has used both and had any opinions on them ? or even any alternatives that i should look at, I cant afford flex or Rupes, I don't want to spend more than £200 on the machine and will find a bit more for the pads and I already have quite a few polishes including the Scholl S20 which i'm looking forward to trying (I think its a single stage one)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I still have mine bought it in about 2008 from an importer in Norwich. Like you I am ready for an upgrade so interested in replies from others. You're right the transformer weighs a ton.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Haha I still have my Porter Cable 7424 that Shaun (182_Blue) imported from Autopia for me back in 2007. I went to his house to collect it. He had his asbo orange Focus ST at the time (y)

And still have it now, and still use it.

I've also got a Cleanyourcar DAS6 Pro+ which is 240v standard 3 pin plug (similar to your reason @Topdonkey, not wanting to lug the transformer round)

Worth a look at them, its a 15mm throw machine. Probably had that 7 or 8 years now.

Cant help with the Shinemate and AF machines I'm afraid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh, the DAS6 Pro+ was on my watch list as well, what do you think of it compared to the PC7424 ? is it better, quieter and less vibration ?

I did look to see if i could find an angle grinder to swap the motor over on my PC7424 so that i could carry on using it, but most dont have speed control and the seem to have a different pinion gear that meshes with the gearbox so this is probably a no-go sadly

I'm open to any other recommended 15mm DA's too, I'm now thinking that the Shinemate is probably a bit too expensive for my use really, so a DAS6 Pro+ might suit better anyway

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Ahh, the DAS6 Pro+ was on my watch list as well, what do you think of it compared to the PC7424 ? is it better, quieter and less vibration ?

I did look to see if i could find an angle grinder to swap the motor over on my PC7424 so that i could carry on using it, but most dont have speed control and the seem to have a different pinion gear that meshes with the gearbox so this is probably a no-go sadly

I'm open to any other recommended 15mm DA's too, I'm now thinking that the Shinemate is probably a bit too expensive for my use really, so a DAS6 Pro+ might suit better anyway
Its probably better yes to be honest. It has a bigger throw, and its a 6" machine so it does more work over a bigger area.
I know you can fit 6" pads to the PC, but I tend to use it JUST with 4" pads.

The DAS6 Pro+ is quieter and it definitely vibrates less.
My only reservation is that it doesn't take smaller pads.
Bonnets and roofs and big flat doors is where it comes in.

If I were buying again I'd go for something that does 4" and 6" pads and replace the DAS6 Pro+ and the PC, but its not really an issue for me as I still have the PC 7424 at the moment, and the AutoBrite Cordless MP-9 mini polisher (1" and 2" pads)
And a Sealey pistol type 3" rotary polisher - mainly for use on headlights/tail lights and glass.

For £150 or so for the DAS6 Pro+ kit it should actually tick your boxes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just managed to win an AutoFinesse DPX polisher on eBay for £100 brand new ! so looking forward to doing a bit of polishing soon :) Although i don't have a garage and the weather for at least the next week isn't looking favourable for car polishing (too hot) so it may be a while before i can use it yet

Now i've got to do some research on the best pads to get for a DPX, I have a bottle of Scholl S20 already, but need to decide on pads, then find some new wax as my Poorboys Nattys Paste Wax must be over 10 years old now and there's got to be better stuff on the market, I favour a deep shine and good darkening of the colour over a lasting protection, so am currently thinking that Soft99's Authentic Premium is looking good, but so is the Tac Systems Shinee Wax !! which to choose !!! Does anyone have any suggestions or thought on these ?, Its going onto a 2015 BMW 5 series in a fairly dark grey

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After looking at the variety of budget machines, I decided that I would only end up buying twice, so I’ve just ordered myself a Rupes LHR15MKIII
I was really tempted by one of those, but sadly its a little bit beyond my budget, but I've managed to get an AutoFinesse DPX, so hoping i'll be happy with it, but let us know how you get one with your Rupes

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was really tempted by one of those, but sadly its a little bit beyond my budget, but I've managed to get an AutoFinesse DPX, so hoping i'll be happy with it, but let us know how you get one with your Rupes
There’s currently a 10% discount code on UF which made it easier for me to decide on buying it.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a Rupes HLR75 at the same time, but decided against for now.
Especially after reading the latest edition of the PD Magazine, they pointed out that if the you don’t get the bolt for the backing plate centred correctly vibrations could be an issue, and perhaps a tapered bolt could be used instead on later revisions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The AutoFinesse DPX doesnt come with any pads, so i've been doing a bit of searching and oh my god, there are so many different makes, types and textures available now. 15 years ago there were only a few makers and all they offered was a fine medium and coarse pad, but now, i'm lost !!!

So, I'm polishing a 2015 BMW 520D in dark grey, does anyone have any recommendations for pads to use with the Scholl S20 black polish that i've already bought ?

Thankyou

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The AutoFinesse DPX doesnt come with any pads, so i've been doing a bit of searching and oh my god, there are so many different makes, types and textures available now. 15 years ago there were only a few makers and all they offered was a fine medium and coarse pad, but now, i'm lost !!!

So, I'm polishing a 2015 BMW 520D in dark grey, does anyone have any recommendations for pads to use with the Scholl S20 black polish that i've already bought ?

Thankyou
Yes, my PC came with 3 Sonus bottles and the liquid matched the colour of the pad.

I might be remembering it incorrectly, but those 3 were as good as any modern product.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Pierre: Take that with a pinch of salt. people have been writing and making additional designs for years.
The LHR 75 is my favourite Polisher and it would be the last to go if I were skint! Hypothetical of course.
This polisher is a must have size wise as it is so versatile and the most used in my collection.
Ideally, but not a must I agree, it is nice to have several options and sizes and they will all get used if polishing is something that will be done regularly.

As quoted many times 😴😂 Rupes is a a brand leader. It has a facility so immense it's mind blowing. All R&D is in house, each and every tool have their own motor for each model. Those also designed and made in house. That is just for starters, but enough on that side.
Warranty is important and spare's too. Pad range is arguably the largest of all others, compounds too. Same R&D and manufacturing ... yep, in house.

"Never buy cheap, only good value and quality".👍

·
Registered
337 Posts
The new Rupes machine arrived on Thursday and my first impressions are that it looks and feels better than the entry level machines that I currently have.
But because of the recent heatwave and hosepipe ban it’s going to be a while before I can use it in anger. So sadly I have to put in on the cupboard with the rest of my stuff including another recent purchase of the Rupes long neck hybrid nano lux kit, so I can’t give any feedback on how it performs :cry:. But I know that it’s going to give me many years of service.
I’m still contemplating other Rupes purchases and will build up a shopping list in the near future. But and a weekend warrior I’m in no rush

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My AF DPX arrived 2 days ago, and i'm just sat in my workshop looking at it too, Its too hot to be doing anything on the car at the moment and i'm just watching the dust layer build up on the car !
I've got Tuesday off work and the weather is looking cloudy and cooler so maybe that will be a polishing day, but i'm not doing it under sunlight.

I've also bought some new wax too :) some Soft99 Authentic Premium, so we'll see how that does once the polishing with the Scholl S20 goes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts