Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Built-Not-Bought
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying an iPad 2 for someone as a gift, can't really afford the new Mini (retina) but have seen the original Mini for sale for about £250.

Do you think they are still worth buying even though they were originally based on a lower spec model than the full sized iPad?

Does it run well on iOS 7? Also are they equivalent to the iPhone 4S in terms of processor?

Thanks for any advice people. :thumb::thumb:

·
Built-Not-Bought
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See that's the thing, ideally I'd buy the Retina version but the person it's for wouldn't really care about that too much but I wanted to know if the spec makes it worthwhile to buy now.

Size wise they are pretty much spot on. I have a full size iPad and a Nexus 7, the Nexus is a more handy size for carrying round and holding for reading etc.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The retina display, for me, is probably something at the bottom of my list of requirements. I have no problems at all with the display on my 1st gen iPad, even alongside my iPhone 5 I don't sit and think "this is ****"

I was all for getting myself an outgoing iPad mini, but am now wondering how long the performance of it is going to be acceptable. I was, still am to an extent, more than happy with my iPad 1, but some of the app updates over the last 6 or so months have really dragged it's performance down. eBay, newsstand, App Store, Sky Sports News and sometimes even Safari seem to take an age to load or respond to gestures. eBay in particular is a real pain to use now, which is a shame as I do like the new interface.

If the hardware of the iPad mini would keep decent levels of performance for the next 2 or 3 years of app developments then that would be spot on. Given that the iPad 2 hardware it's based on is already 2 years old, it might be a bit much to expect of the people who make such decisions :(

·
Built-Not-Bought
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

I think then that with the Mini still working well and still capable it sounds like a viable option. Also the person it's for isn't a real techy type so the retina screen is a minimal requirement, I just don't want it being nothing more than a coaster in 18 months time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I love my iPad mini wouldn't go back to a bigger iPad now. It goes with me everywhere is great for browsing reading and doing anything else a full size one can do. It is zippy enough with IOS7 and battery life is great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.