Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a mate in work thinks that i am being fraudulent in the way i insure my van,

2 years ago i bought a little pickup tipper van, for gardening, removing rubble collecting stuff etc, skips were costing me a fortune so i got the van , worth its weight in gold....anyways my insurance was 600 odd quid, so at renewal time i had finished with the van and was going to get rid but its so handy i devised a plan, i gave the van to my old man as he uses it pretty much everyday ,

signed the logbook over to him, so he is now the legal owner, gave him 200 quid to insure it on his own new policy and gave him 126 quid to tax it,

i rang my insurance company and i am covered to drive any other vehicle as long as its insured by someone else blah blah, so every now and again i drive the van if i need something, now i thought this was ok but my mate in work thinks it as illegal and criminal?

hmmmmm.......

·
Registered
162 Posts
if the vehicle you want to drive is insured and road worthy (ie tax and mot) and you have a fully comprehensive insurance policy, with permission from the vehicles owner you can drive it. btw with most insurance companies you have to be 25 or over to drive other vehicles. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Sounds ok to me. But being the registered keeper doesn't necessarily make someone the legal owner. You can buy a car for your girlfriend to drive and register it in her name so that she is liable for fixed penalties etc. You've paid for ithe car but it's for her use. But it's your car.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nothing wrong with that at all. If there was then I'd be doing something wrong myself!

I bought a car for the missus, I pay to insure and tax it, but it's registered and insured in her name as she drives it every day.

If your mate was right it would be illegal for me to take it to the corner shop every now and again just because I cant be bothered to fire up the quattro :lol:

·
DW Forum Sponsor
6,765 Posts
My first thoughts are what does is say on your certificate of insurance.

I'd almost bet a Mars Bar that it states "The Policyholder may also drive any private car not belonging to etc...."

If your policy does cover the driving of vans as well as cars not belonging to you, then no, you are not covered, as you clearly state here -

"a mate in work thinks that i am being fraudulent in the way i insure my van"

·
Registered
70 Posts
As I understand it this is ok but you will only be covered on a third party basis even if you Dad has it insured fully comp. I stopped worrying too much about insurance years ago when figures showed about 1 in 15 dont even have any and only get a poxy fine when caught anyhow :thumb:

·
Eco-Warrior
5,905 Posts
Commercial vehicles might not be covered under the third party thingy.

Worse case is you're driving it without insurance. You need to ring your ins to check asap methinks.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
a mate in work thinks that i am being fraudulent in the way i insure my van,

2 years ago i bought a little pickup tipper van, for gardening, removing rubble collecting stuff etc, skips were costing me a fortune so i got the van , worth its weight in gold....anyways my insurance was 600 odd quid, so at renewal time i had finished with the van and was going to get rid but its so handy i devised a plan, i gave the van to my old man as he uses it pretty much everyday ,

signed the logbook over to him, so he is now the legal owner, gave him 200 quid to insure it on his own new policy and gave him 126 quid to tax it,

i rang my insurance company and i am covered to drive any other vehicle as long as its insured by someone else blah blah, so every now and again i drive the van if i need something, now i thought this was ok but my mate in work thinks it as illegal and criminal?

hmmmmm.......
But what are you using the van for now, purely for occasional 'private use', which I can't see a problem with, as others have already said,or are you still using it for a business purpose?
If your using it for a business purpose, and therefore a 'commercial vehicle' then what you doing may be misconstrued as wrong

Put it this way, My dad owns a black cab. I also drive it as I have my badge.

In theory, If i wasn't a licenced cab driver, I could drive the cab on my car insurance for a private journey. But if I go plying for hire in it, I'm not insured am I, (on my car insurance) it's a whole different insurance altogether.....

do you see what I'm getting at.....

·
DW Forum Sponsor
6,765 Posts
The use on Deniance's certificate will extend to a vehicle he is driving under DOC, but he won't have "carriage of goods" under a private car policy, so wouldn't be able to use the van for business purposes. But by the sounds of things, it is a handy run around rather than a business vehicle.

The main concern here is whether his private car policy includes the driving of vans (although they used to years back, not many do now, i can't actually think of an insurer that does, even Aviva now only state private cars, years back i used to be able to drive "any motor vehicle including motorcycles", but this has long gone).

The other concern is that he refers to the van as his own vehicle, not his fathers, so he won't be covered regardless. A loss adjuster will pick up things like this very quickly, especially as he pays for the insurance, tax etc. They will have good reason to doubt the ownership and to kick out a claim.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.