Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got 6x halogen gu10 240v 50w in the kitchen. They don't last that long so decided to try some led ones for energy Saving and hopefully better light span.

I've fitted 6x led-48smd warm white 3500k~ ones today, I went for the 48 smd instead of the 4w 3/4 led ones because of the wider light angle, which the smd ones are actually wider than the halogens.

Their very bright, but they have a weird strobe/flicker to them. Looking at them direct it's ok but moving things around and looking around I notice it, it's a very odd feeling!

Anyone know why I have this problem?

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
I've got 6x halogen gu10 240v 50w in the kitchen. They don't last that long so decided to try some led ones for energy Saving and hopefully better light span.

I've fitted 6x led-48smd warm white 3500k~ ones today, I went for the 48 smd instead of the 4w 3/4 led ones because of the wider light angle, which the smd ones are actually wider than the halogens.

Their very bright, but they have a weird strobe/flicker to them. Looking at them direct it's ok but moving things around and looking around I notice it, it's a very odd feeling!

Anyone know why I have this problem?
I don't know, but the led lights do flicker as do flourescent (thats why some get headaches from them) , I notice in youtube videos and off the phone when played back on the pc, led lights appear to strobe, same with forecourt displays too.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't notice it so much with the flourescent and my wife thinks the led downlighters are better than the halogens (because it's brighter) but doesn't notice the flicker.

I've ordered 6 cool blue I think they call it 6000k for the bathroom, will be interesting to see if that flickers.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
led are great, i have some good ones in my bathroom, very bright, nearly a year now and saving loads of energy....................until 2 died, all energy savings gone on the cost of 2 new ones.........what a silly world......, when they all break again im going back to old school lights...

·
Registered
944 Posts
they shouldn't really flicker mate to be honest.. I have fitted loads of down lights over the years be them mr16 or gu10, the only time I have had flicker issues is with mr16 and faulty drivers, I would contact the bulb supplier.

The other point I would make is, I currently use deltech s470d gu10s in my own house.. these are pcb mount led's (i think 6 high output diodes but 3.8w) and the lighting area is 70degrees and they are 310 lumens, so you don't have to opt for the smd's.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Philips. Their pretty expensive! That's why I'm not happy with them at the moment, I'd rather stick with halogen and pay extra on the electric bill lol

·
Registered
944 Posts
send them back mate! I have used items from Britek, LED hut, and Deltech and never had a problem.. the Briteks can be purchased for about £6.50 per bulb the LED huts are similar and the Deltechs for about £8.50.. I have seen some led bulbs for £25 each which is madness! when you do a calculation on energy savings over the year LED bulbs can make a massive difference though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
don't worry about the wattage as such, light is measure in lumens or candlepower.... the 310 lumen deltechs I have are very bright, I went for 6k for the kitchen and bathrooms and 4300k for the hallways and landings, these are approx £8.50-9.00 each..

·
Registered
944 Posts
320 lumens and 120deg of light with very good warranty and 20% off?! cant go wrong!! I have purchased lumilife bulbs and they have been very good quality... you also get a free bag of sweets when you order from ledhut which is a nice touch!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are you using a dimmer control as this can cause the flickering you describe even when not actually using the control...had the same problem until I changed the actual switch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.