Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would do a quick write up on here of my Jetta since I bought it last November. It's got a bit of a story to it!

I went to Bug Jam VW festival in 2011 and at the time I had this...

It was rediculously clean, I kept on top of it too, when I bought the car it was all mossy in the drainage channels as the previous owner did 5000 miles in 3 years. I cleaned it all up and I think I used natty's paste at the time to keep it shiny. My favourite product with this car was aerospace protectant!

Anyway, the car just wasn't for me, pretty boring I thought. To make it fun to drive would of cost a fortune. Even lowering them is pretty pricey if you do it right. I wasn't in a position to fix it when it broke either, I didn't have a clue what to do, so it always went to a garage, boring.

SO! I'm at Bug Jam pretty drunk, walking round the for sale section dreaming. I wanted to get rid of the TT anyway, but then I saw this.

I've always had a soft spot for the Mk1 Golf, but it was the Jetta that won me over. I'd never seen one before at a show, and this one was exactly how I would have one. I wanted it baaaaad! I rang the current owner and asked for an asking price, I'd get more than that for the TT I thought. I told him I'd got to sell my car and that was that. It sounds really sad and childish but I drunkenly told the car I would own it one day... :(. I got home, paid £40 for an autotrader advert and waited... For a long time. I think I was just being a bit greedy with the asking price. The Jetta got sold and I'd missed out.
Over a year later (Oct last year) I was looking for a cheap car as I planned to start my own business. I used to have one of these.

So I started looking for another one, I went on the ClubPolo forum and accidentally clicked the "non polo" section in the classifieds, I immediately clicked out again but had a quick glance at Mk1 Jetta, clicking back I found it was the same car! I messaged the owner, told him I wanted it, and luckily he was away for 3 weeks so that gave me 3 weeks to sell the TT.

I sold the TT for pennies and after a 6 hour round trip I bought the Jetta!
This was as I bought it.

I gave it a clean under the old bonnet, this has slowly been tidied up to the point where it just needs powder coating/ zinc plating/ painting really. She's had a new Radiator, head gasket, alternator, cambelt, battery, waterpump, carb rebuild.
The majority of engine bay mechanics was a job for my mate when we had the bad weather early in the year.

This was how he worked on the car lol.

The lead from battery to starter was pretty unhealthy

I've also had the dashboard out twice to check wires and find out where it was leaking from, it turned out to be through the clutch repair plate due to a seeping scuttle panel. The repair panel was replaced and scuttle panel re-sealed.

Some products I bought

I treated her to a new exhaust, excuse the lack of bumper, I took it off to paint it.

Cleaned the boot up

Removed the door armors, and added chrome trim

I need to polish this area when I get my Machine

I've done a few other bits like restoring the chrome side strips as they were painted black but this is getting a bit pic heavy.

Other than that I've just loved going to shows this year.

My plans for her are to get a retrim as the seats are the main thing that lets the car down, straighten the front valance, powder coat/zinc plate the stuff in the bay, and sort out how she sits, probably rear spacers and lower at the front, we'll see! I'm also getting a machine polisher and products for christmas so the paint will be getting a once over.

Thanks for looking.

Spilz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, yea pretty chuffed! I never tire of people commenting on it (they're mainly old duffers that used to have one).

I mentioned in another post I actually met the original owners son at Dubs Mania this year. He rang his dad (80 year old) whilst I was there and asked him to validate the reg, it's definitely their old car. The old guy sold it because he couldn't be bothered to source a new tail light as it had smashed. It just goes to show how little these sorts of cars were worth at one point, now they're pretty sought after. This ones a keeper! Hopefully I'll be able to update soon!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lovely car mate, great little story behind it as well. you got any plans for it. or are you just keeping it as mint as possible
Cheers mate,

Just to get it up to a decent show standard really, I've shown it a lot this year but not exactly trophy hunting, just on the off chance that someone takes a pic etc. It's been a daily for most of its life so although it's pretty honest it needs a bit more love yet.
Powder coating the cam cover, radiator mount, cambelt cover and zinc plating all the bolts etc under the bonnet is the priority now. Although the wheels probably get a bit of jip from the stance crew as the car doesn't sit amazingly well on them, I do love the wheels and they're what were on the car when I fell for it. I'm thinking get some spacers on the back to push them out, and maybe get the wheels polished, then lower the front down a tad.

As with anything though it's just money dependant.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Very nice MK1, I also have soft spot for the Jetta. Would love a 2 door Jetta coupe but they are so so rare. This is my mates MK1 Jetta on Renault Turbines (static drop no air) its a lovely car with great history he has every single tax disc from the past 30 years for it and its got a few trick touches like the small opening front windows (US spec I believe) and Porsche script door handles

I look forward to your progression with this :)

Alex

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice MK1, I also have soft spot for the Jetta. Would love a 2 door jetta coupe but they are so so rare. This is my mates MK1 Jetta on Renault Turbines (static drop no air)

I look forward to your progression with this :)

Alex
Ah yea I know Ryan, not personally though, I just randomly added him on Facebook when I saw his car haha.

I'm pretty local to him, we're gonna meet up at some point for a photoshoot I think, his Jetta is pretty mint though lol so I might have to put some rust on it in photoshop!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ah yea I know Ryan, not personally though, I just randomly added him on Facebook when I saw his car haha.

I'm pretty local to him, we're gonna meet up at some point for a photoshoot I think, his Jetta is pretty mint though lol so I might have to put some rust on it in photoshop!
Aha small world, I may well tag along and say hello. Yeah his car is pretty clean, I have been helping him clean up the engine bay recently. Been nagging him to drop the engine out and do a semi-smooth bay just to help finish it off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea come along, I don't know when we're gonna meet up but I'm sure we'll sort something, hopefully before the weather gets bad. I've been looking at all the bits he's been removing and painting etc, that's the sort of thing I hope to do now, up until recently I've been doing the stuff that needed doing rather than what I wanted doing.

I'm tempted to take the engine out of mine to tidy it up as I think it would be pretty easy, I don't think I could bring myself to smooth the bay though as I don't want to do anything irreversible, I'm a bit sad like that. Hopefully in the future that's what will make the car more unique.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yea come along, I don't know when we're gonna meet up but I'm sure we'll sort something, hopefully before the weather gets bad. I've been looking at all the bits he's been removing and painting etc, that's the sort of thing I hope to do now, up until recently I've been doing the stuff that needed doing rather than what I wanted doing.

I'm tempted to take the engine out of mine to tidy it up as I think it would be pretty easy, I don't think I could bring myself to smooth the bay though as I don't want to do anything irreversible, I'm a bit sad like that. Hopefully in the future that's what will make the car more unique.
If you need any parts electoplating let me know, I got Ryan's parts plated at a place I use. I will having some more parts done over winter so can put yours in with my batch if you need any doing.

Alex

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you need any parts electoplating let me know, I got Ryan's parts plated at a place I use. I will having some more parts done over winter so can put yours in with my batch if you need any doing.

Alex
Cheers mate, as long as I've got the money at the time I'm definitely up for that.

Sam

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.