Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says and my lovely recently detailed ASTRA H SRI is ruined in scratches and a lacquer peel on the bonnet and my neighbours think im bonkers in having a kicking off session and there reply was the sandblasting cant cause it errr im fuming !!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
putting it short the neighbours didnt notify anyone of the work being carried out 3wks in total the contractors are blaming the neighbours for not telling and the neighbours are blaming the contractors when i sent them the bill for the repair work they was quickly round inspecting my car ...council are on it now for not using protective sheeting

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the clear coat peel wasnt there prior and when i hosed it off it appeared the car is only 3 yrs old no respray of anysort they seem to be blaming each other ....Estoril-5 lol haha

·
Registered
48 Posts
there responsibility. there negligence and lack or safety equipment to protect those around is there responsibility . if it can damage paint what would it do if a child was outside? there open to questioning by health and safety and the council for public health,damaging etc also environmental depending what media they were using

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I'm not clued up on sandblasting techniques, but I can't see how it can cause lacquer peel.

Unless they were directly doing your car then by the time it drifted over it would be nothing more than sand/dust in the wind. There would be no "blasting" on your bodywork.

How close are these neighbours to you? TBF, I'd have expected them to tell you what was planned so you can act accordingly. If they've not taken proper safety precautions with their equipment, then that maybe a different story all together, but the contractors turn up and do the job, not knock on doors and ask you to clear a radius.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There is I believe also a bit of a health and safety issue here as well. If the contractor did not basically scaffold off the area and screen it to protect the area around the work, then how did he stop the silicates from polluting the surrounding area, ok for the blaster operator to be wearing breathing apparatus but what about any one in the area walking by etc. or was he blasting using water as well to minimise the environmental impact, none the less still requires screening. Neighbours and contractor have both the responsibility of duty of care you should have been informed, and advised of the work being carried out. May be worth checking out that I think the neighbours house insurance should cover things like this, and of course the contractor will also be insured. Also why did they have house blasted, was it to remove old paint again is there a health issue here was paint lead based etc, was it to remove old rendering, more silicate contamination, was any drains blocked off to protect water pollution, sure if you dig deep enough the price of repairing your car may seem far more economical than the Enviroment Agency and all ussunder banging on their doors. Goog luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
scaffold is up i thought they was re pointing the house was only re painted 6 mth ago and no water being used just a chap in back of a van filling his machine up and the other blasting creating a absolute mess

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Not sure either how it could cause lacquer peel but try this idea...settled sandblast grit settles on the car. Moisture hardens it and then as the car is pressure washed its has a grinding effect.
Please realise that I'm not blaming you, as contact less washing is by far the best method to clean it. I present only an idea on how the lacquer peel occurred.
I hope that the issue gets sorted ASAP and that you do not foot the bill.

Richard

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
like i said in a earlier post i rinsed it not pressure washed it maybe it was time for the clearcoat peeling in which the sandblasting has just helped it occur sooner but someone is deffo paying for it

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2 days prior the car was detailed when the idiots have stopped for today and i re wash it i will post the finishing touches of my motor to after the blasting was done

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.