Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aged LG 42" Plasma is starting to die and so the search is on for a new TV. I really dont know what is the best to buy so please help guys.
Min 42"
LED
Full HD 1080p
Good sound.

I am not really interested in 3d or a Smart TV as I have my Laptop and Xbox, so I want a decent TV with the above spec and idealy no more than £700ish.
My current TV is a LG and its been a really good set so I dont mind sticking with this make or trying Samsung or Panasonic, these are really the only 3 makes I am interested in.
Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Im tempted to replace my Panny plasma with another one, whilst Panasonic are still making them. I use mine along with a Yamaha sound bar and matching sub. Its a great way of identifying any loose brickwork etc:D

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
I have a Samsung Led TV and the picture is superb and has a stylish bezel around the frame, looks smart and blends with the furniture well.
The only downside are the sound is not great, could do with a external sound source but the tv has a easy to use navigate tool, so far touch wood no troubles.
The brands I will looking for is LG, Samsung and Panasonic, best to go to a shop and have a few demonstrations right front of a sales guy and come home with model numbers that you like and do a price comparison through the internet for the cheapest buy and optional extra warranty for the tv; This is what I had done.
Although I have been told plasma is great for faster movies as it keeps up the speed of the context, but with led I find the picture brighter and sharper in clarity; at present I have a LED TV but I am very pleased with the picture quality it gives me.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Im tempted to replace my Panny plasma with another one, whilst Panasonic are still making them. I use mine along with a Yamaha sound bar and matching sub. Its a great way of identifying any loose brickwork etc:D
Same here, my Panasonic Plasma is getting on a bit now, it's been brilliant but I dread not being able to get another when it finally goes bang.
BTW, what model of sound bar you got? I purchased a surround sound system when I got the TV but that's just about had it and I want something more compact now :thumb:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Mines a Yamaha YSP-600 with matching YST-FSW050 amp. They may be obsolete now but they are great. I switch them on if watching a film or playing games on PS3. The sound bar is great, but its the sub that then makes it sound even more brilliant. Cant have it on though if the wife is upstairs watching tv in the bedroom as all she can hear is the sound bar!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for your input so far. I already have a Panasonic Surround System which does find loose brickwork but its not a Blueray Player. This is another thing thats going to be different, my current tv is HD Ready 720p so a new one is going to blow my socks off picture wise and will make the most of Blueray and HD Channels. My parents had the same TV as me except there one packed up last year and they bought a 50" LG Plasma but Full HD and I think the picture is fantastic compared to mine, the only reason I am wanting a LED is running costs really, is there a big difference in the two in power consumption or nothing worth bothering with.
I think a visit to my local Currys is needed so I can see whats what etc and then hopefully Argos will stock it as I have vouchers for Argos.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Just be aware that there is a huge difference in picture quality between manufacturers even when they all claim 1080P. For speed you're looking at the refresh rate rather than type of screen; for action movies and sport in HD I'd suggest a minimum of 600Hz these days.

+1 for Panasonic plasma. The depth of the blacks and lack of pixellation is unsurpassed IMO. For the average person, like most of us, who doesn't have a special room with controlled light levels etc I am yet to see a LED or LCD TV that can be set to get the same quality as a quality plasma in large screen sizes. With the technology as it is now then I personally wouldn't go above 37" in LED but that's because I'm a picky sod :lol::lol:
My 50" Panasonic plasma has a better picture than my 32" Samsung LCD, both of which are 1080P.

Much of the ability to get the best from a TV is down to the settings. Searching a model number on AV forums for the best settings from some uber geek is a good way to get set up.

Agree with the sound comments to an extent but tbh, you'll never get good sound from TV speakers.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
The problem with currys is they whack up the colour and brightness to make the picture stand out and draw you in, that's not the reason for buying the tv. Some of the new led tv's are getting better but I still feel plasma has it.

Try and judge the picture from the same distance as you will in your room, also LCD/led the colours start to washout as you start viewing them at an angle, but Panasonic tv's seem to fair better for not losing too much colour off axis.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Is your room bright and do you watch during the day? LCD generally has a brighter screen due to the backlit panel as opposed to plasma which uses self-illuminating cells and is therefore not as bright. This can make plasma seem dull in a bright daylit room whereas it looks stunning in a dark environment. In a dark environment LCD has the opposite problem where the backlight can affect the black levels.

The Samsung 8500 plasma range is now much brighter, getting much closer to LCD, but it is also the premium range from Samsung so prices are set accordingly.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Plasma all the way mate, if you have a plasma now and move to LCD/LED you might be a bit disappointed with the PQ, especially for fast moving images. If you are a film buff like me then Plasma is the way to go. Pop over to AVForums and have a nosey around there, they are like us with our detailing, very picky :thumb:

I have a 51 inch Samsung PS51E6500 and its superb mate it up with a 5.1, stick a Bluray on and be prepared to have your socks blown off :lol::lol:

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
REALLY recommend this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-46-...TF8&qid=1383818618&sr=1-1&keywords=UE46ES6800

We purchased it last xmas, the sound is actually better than my home cinema system! Picture is great, and loads of functions I don't have a clue what to do with!
That's a good TV, but this Samsung model struggles with Black pigments and when watching a fast movie, the motion rate and speed is not fast and precise, the new generation Samsung models are more superior and cope with black and white images alot better and faster processes, this model was the new first Samsung model they had released through their LED smart tv 3d range :thumb:
I believe this model has a evolution kit from Samsung.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Shinyvec :thumb: The energy rating on a LED TV is A I believe so very efficient on energy bills, where as a Plasma it's gas ran so the energy Bills will be higher in the long run, really depends how often you use your TV.
On another note with Plasma's you get heat from the screen as it gas ran but Plasma's can keep up with the picture motion fast from action movies, and give more of a natural contrast to the picture, where with LED the colours and brighter and crisper and alot sharper in my eyes; best thing to do to have a demo in Curry's and write the model numbers down to the the ones you like and do some reviews on the internet and weigh down which one is the best buy and do some comparison prices from different sites, this is what I had done this year and got a good deal :thumb:

Keep us informed how you get one :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
In general plasmas do use more energy than LED's but they're more efficient now than they used to be and when properly calibrated the gap isn't nearly as bad as figures quoted in manuals would have you believe.

As an example, I upgraded my 6 year old 42" Panasonic plasma this year to a 2012 55" model. The new one uses less power than the old one did and according to my energy meter it was using approx 101W when I checked it. That figure will vary depending on screen content but according to AVForums for the same model, a 50% white pattern consumed 149W.

As for heat output, I measured an average of 31C off the front, so it's not going to be making my log burner redundant anytime soon. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.