Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some new alloy wheels arriving shortly and plan to ceramic coat them with gtechniq C5.

Has anyone had issues with wheel weights not sticking to a ceramic coated wheel?

Should I apply ceramic coating before or after tyres and wheel weights are applied?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Best to apply once tyres are fitted and you can give a good clean before applying, nothing be worse than freshly ceramic coated being man handled by tyre fitter slapping on loads of tyre soap and greasy hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Wheel weights then coated. Otherwise they may not adhere properly and cause greater issues.

Agree with the above, manhandling and grease not ideal but they are wheels after all and will be exposed to much worse over their life

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Ive done both.

Weights stuck fine to wheels coated in C5 and I found a decent tyre fitter who fits tyres on freshly refurbed wheels as the bigest danger is damage not a bit of grease.

The wheels did get a bit dirty from the tyre-fitting but as they were coated it washed of easily.

Coating the wheels with the tyres on is easier as you can sit the wheel on the tyre and it also gives something to hold when turning them around to coat barrels etc

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I totally agree that wheel weights need sticking to uncoated wheel but...

If coatings are as wonderful as they are made out to be why are they incapable of standing up to a person handling the wheel or using the lubricant to put the tyre on?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I totally agree that wheel weights need sticking to uncoated wheel but...

If coatings are as wonderful as they are made out to be why are they incapable of standing up to a person handling the wheel or using the lubricant to put the tyre on?
They are, as I said in my post the lube just washed of, the problem is curing times, products like KKD R-evolve take up to 30 days to fully cure so you need to be careful in the first 2 weeks at the very least

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for advice and input, seems both options have their pros and cons.

I'm going to try coating first before getting tyres/weights fitted:

Pros:
- ceramic coats whole wheel including behind the wheel weights as inevitably these will be removed/moved when next set of tyres are fitted which could lead to some area being exposed in future that's not ceramic coated

Cons:
  • bit difficult to apply without tyres on - will take my time and be careful of not hitting the wheels :)
  • tyre paste etc on wheel - i will wait a week between applying the coating and getting the tyres fitted - sure some isp or shampoo will lift the paste off of the ceramic coat fine :)
  • Wheel weights may not bond - let's see - no way of really knowing until i've tried

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Thanks all for advice and input, seems both options have their pros and cons.

I'm going to try coating first before getting tyres/weights fitted:

Pros:
- ceramic coats whole wheel including behind the wheel weights as inevitably these will be removed/moved when next set of tyres are fitted which could lead to some area being exposed in future that's not ceramic coated

Cons:
  • bit difficult to apply without tyres on - will take my time and be careful of not hitting the wheels :)
  • tyre paste etc on wheel - i will wait a week between applying the coating and getting the tyres fitted - sure some isp or shampoo will lift the paste off of the ceramic coat fine :)
  • Wheel weights may not bond - let's see - no way of really knowing until i've tried
I had no issues with wheel weights sticking, after 18months the weights were still very much in place when I polished and recoated with C5

Lye the wheel on its face and coat the barrel first, then use the lip to flip it over to do the faces

Good luck and enjoy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts