Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know it sounds a bit odd, but by newer im talking around 2005, older obvious pre 2005, but what im getting at is reliability and running costs.

judging by what i have seen in threads (comments regarding reliability and costs of parts), it makes me wonder whether its worth buying newer cars?

for example, i was looking at audi A2's and then thought about looking at Honda Civic's, 2005 onwards, looks great, but parts seem to be horrendously priced, like £1500 for a clutch, as well as quite a few issues with them, so it seems that newer cars aren't cheap to run at all. Makes me wonder where they get prices for some things too,

are there any newish cars that are cheapish to run?

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
The less tech in the car, the less chance for something to go wrong.

It does seem to be that modern diesel engines, especially <2.0 seem to be causing many manufacturers a lot of issues.

Other than that, I think cars are more reliable than ever.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The less tech in the car, the less chance for something to go wrong.

It does seem to be that modern diesel engines, especially <2.0 seem to be causing many manufacturers a lot of issues.

Other than that, I think cars are more reliable than ever.
can see exactly what you mean, my old rover 75 cdti was so reliable it was unreal, not a very techy engine, BMW 2.0 TD, but it got on with the job in hand, but its also a reason why i got the Chevvy, wasn't overly complicated and "seems" to be, so far, reliable!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I bought my 1998 Corsa 1.0 for £400 nearly three years ago, since then with the exception of fuel and road tax it's cost less than £300 to run, I've done over 70,000 miles in it and it's never let me down.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I do love a new car don't get me wrong...Look newer, more gadgets etc but I can't get over the road feel difference. That's what does it for me. Old over new for me.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
My first car was a 2000 ford fiesta 1.8tddi. 167k on the clock roughly 6 years ago and I've checked it's still taxed and insured. Nothing but reliable, one small problem was a weakness of the bolts that mount the alternator to rest of engine where never up to job. They snapped leaving the aux belt half on and off (but a slow drive got me home from blackpool)and me and my dad took it off, tapped out the bolts and replaced them with decent ones. Never happened again. This engine is also non interference, so if cambelt snaps it doesn't ruin the engine. Tax was a bit steep at £200 but I couldn't see me buying a new diesel because of all the bad press they get for DPF and DMF which can be possibly a thousand pounds plus

Also agree less stuff on them the less to go wrong. I like the new car technology but with the fiesta there was literally nothing to go wrong. No electric windows, no central locking, no electric mirrors, a cassette player (replaced with a ford CD player) Power steering was it's only luxury.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Also need to factor in the fact that information on old cars is not as widely available on the net compared to newer ones. And as time moves on, people are more and more likely to take to the net to complain about their car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.