Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My brother has recently purchased a 17 year old green fiat punto on my behalf, I live in Malta (sunny and hot) but am currently in the UK until mid December.

I am told that the lacquer on the roof and bonnet has completely peeled and so both panels are flat / matte. Since this is a €400 car and I do not want to have both panels resprayed professionally, can I wet sand the panels so as to remove the lacquer and polish the basecoat?

It will not be a problem if they will need repolishing every now and again, the reason I would like to do it is because I generally neglect my daily driver, and having a clean car may feel slightly better. I have also just purchased a DAS6 pro and some hex pads and would like to practice on this one, rather than my weekend car.

Any guidance on how I shall proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shaun

·
Mr Sparkle
9,991 Posts
no not really..basecoat wont shine , thats why they put clear on it

you could try getting off what you can and rattle can it with new clear , cant imagine it would look awesome but may tidy up a banger

·
Mr Sparkle
9,991 Posts
I assumed that the base coat would shine. Can I buy lacquer as a liquid and do it with a compressor then?
yes you can buy it in a can

if you have the equipment to spray , id suggest you key the roof up and give it a light coat of colour then then clear coat , will be a nicer longer lasting job then...sinse you cant really key up old bascoat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.