Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I need help in the following:

A friend of mine has a metallic black clear coated citroen, which is suffering from hand wash induced extra faint swirl marks and some holograms.
Which polish + pad combo do You recommend?

I have:

Gtechniq P1
Gtechniq P2
3M Yellow Extrafine
Menzerna PO203S
Wolf's Chemicals Jeweler WP-1N

and these pads:

Menzerna 135mm yellow finishing (i think its a bit firm for finishing pad? )
Menzerna 135mm orange finishing (i think its the same as yellow pad only different color :D)
Alclear soft black finishing pad 135mm
Alclear orange polishing pad 135 mm
3M yellow pad

machine 850W DA Krauss

If i have Gtechniq P2 is it worth to buy Menzerna SF4000? Or i have to use P2 with polishing pad rather than finishing? I was thinking about Gtechniq P2 and alclear finishing pad first and than step up to P2 + orange alclear polishing pad if its not enough with finishing pad...

which polish + pad combo do You recommend from above for these light hand wash induced swirls and holograms we want to keep as much clear coat as possible, we dont want to thin it unnecessary?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help for all :)

One more question...

I cant understand, how can be the menzerna FINISHING pad that hard...
i checked it on the websites and everywhere is written, that menzerna yellow pad is finishing pad.
When i put the alclear black finishing pad next to the menzerna yellow finishing pad there is a huge difference to the touch... menzerna is a lot more rough and much more firmer than the alclear black finishing pad... i cant believe, that there can be that big difference.... If i will use let say menzerna yellow pad with Gtechniq P2 the cut will be the same as with the let say 3M blue soft pad or alclear black finishing?
Anyone can explain this?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mate :)

than what i understood from the linked article is that if a finishing pad (for example menzerna yellow finishing pad) is firm to the touch that doesnt mean that it cant be a finishing pad, its only closed cell texture pad and thats the reason why are that firm and the black Alclear black finishing pad is open cell texture and the reason of the softness.

The closed cell texture finishing pad (firm) has cca. the same cut as the open cell texture finishing pads (soft) ? Thanks :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi GeRoY

I have the 3m set of pads and use these with all types of different polishes/compounds etc.

If I was in your situation I would try the Getchniq P2 with the softest pad you have, if that doesn't work then choose a pad that's slightly firmer but stay with the P2.

HTH

P.S. I don't have a DA, just use a rotary for everything.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mate :) ...

i was thinking like You wrote...

first i try the P2 on the soft alclear finishing pad... if its not enough i will step to firm menzerna finishing pad :) ...
i just cant understand that a pad which is that firm like menzerna yellow can be a finishing pad and a pad which is that soft like alclear is a finishing pad too... yes i understand, closed cell - open cell... but the menzerna finishing pad texture is more rough to the touch... (like a cutting pad from alclear) than the alclear finishing pad... :D the alclear finishing pad is sooo soft...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.