Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have some problems with rain X. I applied it to both windscreen and side windows. No problem on the side windows, but on the windscreen, I might have applied to much... There seems to be still a layer on it, and when the screen fogs up or is wet, you can see a layer and even the circular motions I made when applying it.
Now, no matter what I do, I can't seem to buff it off, and the rain X isn't doing it's work... the water just stays on it, not running off.

any help is very much appriciated :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
+1 reapply let it dry, then buff with a clean mircofibre/paper towel should sort it out, clean wiper blades as well since it will have contaminated them as well and that will leave streaks across your screen.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Been there done that myself :mad:

Meths (the purple stuff) used with care not to get on the paint or plastics should get rid after a good scrub followed by a polish. You will have streaks from the wipers as they have Rain X on them and no amount of cleaning the rubbers will sort so buy new ones once the screens been sorted.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Start again chap. Meths, IPA and Eraser all work as it's alcohol based (i expect cheap vodka would probably work too)

Give it a clay, polish and re-apply or get something else on it. Did you use water when bugging off?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been there done that myself :mad:

Meths (the purple stuff) used with care not to get on the paint or plastics should get rid after a good scrub followed by a polish. You will have streaks from the wipers as they have Rain X on them and no amount of cleaning the rubbers will sort so buy new ones once the screens been sorted.
I will get some new wipers on my next service I guess, so thats not a prop.

Start again chap. Meths, IPA and Eraser all work as it's alcohol based (i expect cheap vodka would probably work too)

Give it a clay, polish and re-apply or get something else on it. Did you use water when bugging off?
I'll just use the wife's cheap vodka then :lol: I'll have a go with Eraser first...
I did use water to buff it off... Guess that was a bad idea, but it took veeeery long to dry to, probably with the weather these days?

Do you live near the coast? I had problems with Rain-X and it turns out living close to the North Sea salt heavy air is bad news and fogging was a real problem. Cleaned it off and Aquapel was better but not 100%.

New car and ADS Glass solves the issues.

I guess you get what you pay for....
No, not that close to the sea...
I was going to get some Wolf's glass coating, but heard it was going to freeze, so went to get some Rain X... pure waste of money

·
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer
8,558 Posts
I did use water to buff it off... Guess that was a bad idea
The Rain-X needs to be buffed off with water or it will leave a greasy residue on the screen. I have used it for 10+ years on many cars and have found that spraying the screen with water and buffing with kitchen roll works best.

It's great stuff and I even went back to it after trying the G-Technic stuff - personal preference I suppose.

Good luck,

Cooks

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update on the story. I tried cleaning the windscreen with Eraser and IPA, but that didn't work. so I took out the glass polish and I think that did the trick. Re-applied and buffed of with some water. Hope that wil have done the trick. I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Nanolex is my preference, but Rain X is pretty good. I usually dampen a microfibre then spray it on that first, then apply in a crosshatch fashion and buff off with a dry MF. Always worked perfectly for me personally

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.