Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection have a limited shelf life? I found a bottle I bought about 20+ years ago (still sealed) and thought it might still be ok. I'm guessing that the only issue might be seperation of the product; as it has been stood upright all these years. Perhaps i shouldn't be suich a tight-**** and go out and buy a new bottle?

Cheers

·
Autoglym HQ
2,467 Posts
AG products are not issued with a use before or best before date. The only advisory is with trade Fabric Stain Remover and retail Fabric Hood Cleaner and Active Stain Remover which state: For best results, use within twelve months of purchase. This is due to the bio active content (read: dirt eating bugs) of the formula.

Aside from this it is down to common sense really. Would you expect a 20 year old tin of paint to be in a good condition? Answer: maybe. Open it up and have a look, the product may have split due to it being stored way beyond its expected shelf life and 'used-up-by' life or it may still be useable. When polishes and dressings are created, emulsions are usually formed, and it is this element of the product that will fail if anything, and when that is gone no amount of shaking will restore it. Detergents are usually going to be ok; there isn't a lot in them that is going to go wrong when it comes to storage. The only thing to add is that once you open a container and start to use the contents, the preservatives have to work harder as there is more air space to preserve. An unopened container may have a set % of air at the top, and as this increases as air is allowed into the container, more naturally occurring yeasts etc get into the container. This is why a 25L container of shampoo for a guy that washes 2 cars a week may not be the best container size for him.

So what is a reasonable time for a product to be 'out in the wild'? Well, provided people buy pack sizes suited to their usage rate, 2 to 3 years? We know that our products can be made on Monday and easily be on the shelves in Halfords a week later. With that in mind I think a two year use up time is easily achievable. Similarly for your trade user, they are going to be getting through product a lot faster, which is why they buy in 5L and up as they will easily use this in a short period.

This is not to say 'Autoglym products have a 2 year shelf life', as stated at the top, none of our products come with a shelf life, it is all down to considering how long you've had the product in the garage, have you stored it correctly according to any 'avoid freezing' instructions and what is it, a polish or an interior detergent.

·
Autoglym HQ
2,467 Posts
Thanks for all the great feedback.

Simon The Fish is OK, enjoying the 'Simon Says its time for reflection comp' on Facebook, but looking for more entries before Wednesday.

·
Autoglym HQ
2,467 Posts
Did Autoglym make Extra Gloss Protection 20+ years ago ???
Well admittedly it was before my time, but it would seem so yes. We have a collection of a load of old products and all the different forms of packaging we have had. I'll knock something together as a showcase at some point; it's quite interesting seeing the development. Well, to me anyway...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Well admittedly it was before my time, but it would seem so yes. We have a collection of a load of old products and all the different forms of packaging we have had. I'll knock something together as a showcase at some point; it's quite interesting seeing the development. Well, to me anyway...
Yes you did make it, I know for a fact that it has been available for around 35 years. I had my own detailing business in the late 1980s, in fact I was the first customer in the Preston area of Don Richardson Autoglym. I used the full Autoglym range, and used to buy the Liquid Hardwax, as EGP was called at the time, in five litre metal tins. I think the label colour was a peachy tan colour. It looked great with all the metal tins lined up in my workshop, all with different coloured Autoglym labels on the front. The tins were a bugger for rusting through then though. Another product you used to do which I loved was Superglym PDI polish, with a pink label, sadly no longer available. The plastic conditioner used to be green, and was a nightmare to get out of the tin. It was really thick, and once half a tin was used, I had to get a tin opener to scrape the rest out as it would not pour out! I remember that had a green label. I used to buy the black dye in five litre tins too. Back in the 80s most hatchbacks rear parcel shelves faded from black to a pale grey, so the dye was used almost every week, I even used to remove full interiors to dye carpets and seats back to black. Happy days.
Another great tool I bought from Don Richardson was a circular piece of thin mild steel with a spring catch on it. You put it on the edge of a wheel and it effectively masked off the tyre so the wheel could be sprayed. Great tool.
It would bring back memories if you could post pictures of old tins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts