Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the process of painting a small body part for my car and have applied the paint etc.
Normally on small parts like engine bay parts i would just apply laquer but as this is a body part i want to get it right so is it correct to assume i can rub down the paint with say 2000/2500 wet/dry paper then apply laquer to bring the colour and gloss back up?

Colour is Ford Black

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is it a straight colour or an effect colour like a metallic / mica / pearl?

If it's any of the latter then you shouldn't sand the base paint before applying the lacquer as it may affect the final colour and you'll probably see the sanding marks in the final finish. Black is the least susceptible to this but it is definitely not correct practice. If there are any problems with the paint that need sanding out, then by all means do so, but add another coat or two of colour before applying the lacquer.

For a straight black you'll be ok to sand it if you need to, but it's generally avoided.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed - Original paint had no clearcoat but car has been resprayed a few years ago and not sure if it has laquer or not tbh.
What is best way to tell?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funnily enough, I thought about that when i went over it with the DA.
The bonnet turned the pad black but rest of the car didn't................

cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.