Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I'm picking up my new car tomorrow, a Clio 197 in Alib blue. Planning to spend the whole day detailing it and prepping it for winter.

I've never used clay before but think now would be as good a time as any to try it out before I polish and wax the car.

Only thing is, i've not got any, and if I want to use it tomorrow my options will be limited to what I can buy in the morning at Halfords - Which is either the Meguiars quick clay kit or the Autoglym clay kit. Out of the 2 i'll most likely go for the Meguiars kit because I hear good things and its £9 cheaper.

So providing the Meguiars kit is worthwhile, the only other thing I read is tar remover/fall out remover before claying - Again I don't have any of this so would need to buy it at Halfords. Options seem limited to the AG intensive tar remover or a spray on turtlewax/halfords version, but these get poor reviews on the website.

So if I go for the AG tar remover, can this be applied after hosing the car down before washing? I don't fancy washing the car, then using the tar remover, then needing to wash any residue off before claying and polishing.

Which order do I need to do things in?

Thanks

Mike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, well I suppose it'll be a quick 20 mins wash down as the car will already be clean after the initial wash and claying.

Has anybody used the AG tar remover?

Will I just need to use this on the lower half of the car or the entire car?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ok, well I suppose it'll be a quick 20 mins wash down as the car will already be clean after the initial wash and claying.

Has anybody used the AG tar remover?

Will I just need to use this on the lower half of the car or the entire car?
Have used Ag tar remover in the past, only used it on lower half of car, but my car wasn't too badly caked up with tar so I was able to see where it needed applying! Good stuff though :thumb:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest when I viewed the car it looked fine, couldn't see any obvious tar spots. I just read that claying for the first time without the use of a tar remover usually results in the clay being caked with filth after one panel.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Don't forget to wipe the tar off before re washing as you'll only end up with loads of little brown/black streaks all over, it's not good enough to just rinse it off.

When you wash after, all it takes is a very quick wipe over every panel that you've used the tar remover on and then the panels you've clayed. Minimum pressure with clay and aim to use the whole bottle of lube (i know that's expensive but it'll cut your polishing time in half if you don't cause any marring).

Next time it'll be a lot quicker to clay but it'll take you an age this time.

And most importantly have fun :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I got the stuff from Halfords and had a go today for the first time.

The tar remover i'm not too impressed with really, it didn't seem to do a great deal of dissolving and I ended up just picking the spots off with my nail. The cloth I wiped it on/off with went slightly brown with tar but nothing really.

I'd invest in stronger stuff for next time...

The claying though went great, the car was still soaked after rinsing the tar remover off so I found I didn't actually need to use much lube. Even so I used over half the bottle of the lube.

Clay turned out to be really easy to use, could easily feel when the area was fully clayed and smooth just by feel.

Couldn't believe the amount of muck that came off the lower half of the car :doublesho

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
well in emerigencies use either wd40 or petrol to remove tar,my prefer to use AS tardis,as for clay i use the artdeshine claycloth from stangalang much better than a clay bar,and there's no mention of iron x or similar product :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.