Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to bite the bullet and attempt a body work spray job on my van.

My primer seems to be a light yellow /white and my vans colour is silver, (611/a grigio alumino).

What brands and colours of rattle cans should I be looking at getting and where would be the best recommendation for where to get a paint match for the colour?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have read your other post 'My first blunder'. In my view doing what you're proposing would be the second - the magnitude depending on how much of the van you're intending to respray. From the photos on your other post the panel around the damaged area seems to be in reasonable condition, so is it just that small area that you've already had a go at? Blending in to the rest of the panel using rattle cans will be impossible and your attempt will look even worse than what you've already done.

I've tried rattle can spraying twice (yes, I didn't learn my lesson the first time!) - I bought primer, base coat, 2K clear coat (Google 2K and 1K clear coat if you don't know the difference,), 3M mask (2K is lethal stuff - you must wear a high quality mask and do not attempt to work in a confined space), wet and dry sanding sheets in all the right grades of grit, panel wipes, masking tape, masking sheets etc. I researched on Youtube and thought this doesn't look too difficult - I should be able to get a half decent result, my expectations were realistic.

Now I like to think that I'm reasonably intelligent, capable of following instructions and copying someone else in a video. I'm patient, careful and methodical. Unfortunately, it seems I am also completely deluded with the spraying skills of a two year old.

My first job was the upper front and rear door panels, and front wing on my old Mercedes E320 - the original base coat and clear coat had just crazed over completely (perhaps not the original factory finish). The finished result? Despite my best efforts it only looked OK from 100 metres away to the man with the labrador retriever holding a white stick - anybody else was not so impressed.

My second attempt was on my son's Fiat Punto because I really thought I couldn't make a worse job than that first attempt. Admittedly it did involve a bit of filler to smooth out a dent and it was just the rear panel around the wheel and up to the window frame. The result - Oh dear, never mind. There will not be a third time!

If I was you, I'd try something like these stickers Car Body Repairs - Car Body Repairs UK at AutoStickerOriginal.co.uk - AutoStickerOriginal.com until you can afford do get a professional to do a decent job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a follow on from this post. Pics on there.

·
Mr Sparkle
9,989 Posts
someone with experience could improve it , i wouldnt really recommend it for you if the brush paint got out of hand

yeah sure you can just pay and have it fixed , the more you mess it up might make it cost more money though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear what you're saying, I really do. My first mistake with the touch up kit was unfortunately oversanding and then trying to incorrectly use a small paint touch up brush to cover a large blemish so it was always going to have brush strokes visible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
300 plus vat as it currently is.

Ive got some fine sandpaper already. Finest is 2500.

Might be worth adding I'm time rich at the moment and as it's a self converted campervan, I'd love to be able to do as much on it as I can as it gets scuffs and scratches a lot of the time.

The attempt to fix it with the Halfords touch up kit was frustrating. The abrasive pad was in nowhere strong enough to smooth out the primer as instructed. Hence me buying the sandpaper. Oversanded, and then caused a patch in the paint. Trying to cover such an area with the brush was a dumb mistake. Which is why I'm more confident in trying a proper attempt. Its hard not to be swayed by some level of 'amateur' repairs I've seen online and on YouTube.

·
Mr Sparkle
9,989 Posts
hmm yeah nasty place

honestly unless youre very lucky that will always stand out if you rattle can it , if i did it i would clear up to that swage line under the door handle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another thing I'm aware of, that I'm not sure is blasphemous on here lol is people that have roller painted their whole vans. I've seen some up close and they look decent. So other than tacky stickers, it is an option...

With that said. The videos I've seen do go quote into depth, like you say spray clear coat higher up, then a light sand over most of the panel to then buff it up to blend it all better. I'm not expecting a perfect job by any means, but there must be poeple on this forum that have had decent results?

·
Mr Sparkle
9,989 Posts
ive painted cars for many years for a living and done rattle can jobs at home , i dont mind telling how i would do it through pm's dont hold high hopes of it looking great being silver , i would suspect from a distance it will look like a spot in the middle of the door ...then again some colours match great and it could be more than acceptable

i wouldnt entertain anything other than 2k clear either

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Based on what I've read, 2k clear coat is meant to be one of the things that will help achieve a better job. With the paint being metallic, I've also read that increases the difficulty. I'm not 100% commited to it yet. You're advice has made me question it. I do have a local automotive paint distributor near me I was going to pop into for some advice with the van. It would be interesting and appreciated if you were happy to send over some steps of what you would do if you were to attempt it. I'm always happy to stop if I feel om out of my depth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts