Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just getting into this detailing bug and treated my car to a DA prep, Black Hole glaze and 2 coats of Natty's blue. It's still beading well but I'm thing of some extra winter protection, maybe some Collinite 476.

Should I

Apply the 476 over the existing wax?
Strip the existing was and then apply the 476?
Not bother and just top up the existing every month or so?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What does DA with black hole actually mean - sorry pretty new to this game! I have bought some 476 but can I put that on top of my summer wax that was put on after clay barring etc.

Some simple steps in plain English would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

·
DW's 'Mr. Helpful'
14,893 Posts
What does DA with black hole actually mean - sorry pretty new to this game! I have bought some 476 but can I put that on top of my summer wax that was put on after clay barring etc.

Some simple steps in plain English would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary
Welcome to the Forum....:wave:

You too will be using abreviated speach in no time.

DA is Dual Action and refers to a Dual Action Polisher.

Black Hole is a glaze that fills swirls marks etc.

You can indeed put one wax over another, or you can strip off the old and apply the new to the bare paint.

The Choice is yours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cheers James, yes, sure understanding jargon will come with time.

My car is silver so no real issue with swirl marks. It's more of a winter protection thing as opposed to "show condition" polish.

On that basis it seems sensible to give it a good wash and dry and apply polish.

Any good tips for a beginner?

Gary

·
DW's 'Mr. Helpful'
14,893 Posts
Cheers James, yes, sure understanding jargon will come with time.

My car is silver so no real issue with swirl marks. It's more of a winter protection thing as opposed to "show condition" polish.

On that basis it seems sensible to give it a good wash and dry and apply polish.

Any good tips for a beginner?

Gary
If your wanting to polish, its a broad spectrum again comes down to jargon most cases a polish would refer to a compound unlike of old when a polish would be either something filler heavy like a glaze or a mild abrasive so still a compound that would give a nice shine as its removed a grime a normal wash will not remove.

If using a light polish/abrasive this will remove the old wax anyway now a lot will use a cleanser to ensure the paint is totally clean as a polishing would still really need a cleanser to ensure its all removed and not left anything behind to affect the bond.

The forum caters for everyone and your free to just wash and then wax you do not have to do every stage you read on here.

The advice is just there should anyone wish to pursue it.

The cleaner the paint the better the bond and the longer the wax will sit there.

However your free to top up when ever you wish should you see the beading and sheeting falling back.

All waxes diminish over time even if they never turn a wheel simply washing is removing some every time.

You can do the full strip back or simply go over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep, thanks James, appreciated. I have some autoglym hd cleanser so will give it a once over with that followed by some 476s. Hopefully good protection for the winter.

Just need a little bit is Sunday motivation now!

Cheers gents
Gary

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bumping this as just wanted to check - is IPA best thing to remove a sealent like FK1000P? (any downsides?)

Or would you recommend something like Autogylm Cleanser or Chemical Guys - Citrus Wash Clear?

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.