Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Today I'm posting my thoughts on a new product I picked up for a detail coming up next weekend. Cleaning carpet is something I find myself doing on most cars as it makes a large difference in how people feel about the interior condition. I have removed seats and shampoo'd carpets in the past, but scrubbing by hand is tiresome and time consuming for me. I need it cleaned faster so I can get it drying faster. Enter the Chemical Guys Carpet and Upholstery brush! Screws right into a Porter Cable or Cyclo DA and promises to speed up cleaning time significantly.

Company: Chemical Guys
Product: DA Carpet/Upholstery brush
Price: $25.00 CAD (before shipping and taxes)
Requirements: DA with 5/16-24 inch threaded shaft.

Scoring
Value: 4/5
Performance: 5/5
Easy of Use: 4/5 (only 4/5 because it can be a bit grabby, but it's to be expected)
Would I recommend it?: Yes!

DSC_3243 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Now, their video on youtube showed this being used to flick dust off a mat. That is not what I want it for, I need it for scrubbing deep into floormats, carpets, and seats. Today I tested it out on my own floor mats to make sure it was going to work the following week (both cars are Mazda 3's which is convenient).

Starting things off, the mats. Drivers side was by far the worst. As you'll see the rears barely have anything on them except for one dried on spill. Car is cleaned pretty regularly (vacuum) so there isn't much build up, but we still have lots of wet weather which puts the dirt down deep into the piles.

DSC_3240 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Here is the mats after a vacuuming, ready for detergent (Extrator Type) and a couple blasts of APC on the bad spots (mainly Driver's foot pad and "Mazda 3" logos).

DSC_3244 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

No during shots unfortunately as it's a 2 hand job. The pad doesn't really spin, especially since I only used it on speed 3 on the porter. You need to tilt the polisher to make it easier to move around (tilt right to move left, etc etc). It makes very little mess (no sling) and with extractor soap there was little foaming. If the mats were really bad I would soak them in hot water before hitting them with detergent and this brush. Mine were not bad enough to require the extra steps.

DSC_3245 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3246 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

And here is how everything looks after extracting the soap solution.

DSC_3248 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3252 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3253 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3254 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Brand new! Best part is that all of this took less then half an hour (once everything was set up). Usually I would spend an hour or more on mats depending on severity. I can see this being practically half an hour no matter how bad the mats are. You can add lots of pressure and boiled water to soften up the worst stains and pull it all away after with the extractor. Another thing that impressed me is the carpet pile was not ruined by the brush. It maintained it's factory shape and pattern which was something I had concerns about going into this.

Speaking of Extracting, my mats which would pass by most peoples standards as clean, were still hiding this much inside.

DSC_3257 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Overall great product. If you find yourself cleaning carpet often or have a white/light coloured interior (feel for you), this is a must buy. Even if you just do a general tidy, not a complete stain removal, it's a couple quick passes and done. Your arms will thank you.

·
DW Supporter & Woollie Pad Man
4,549 Posts
Looks good. I have used their older larger one and found it to be one of my fav tools. Looks like I will be buying this one too :)..

Reactions: Sheep

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good review :thumb:

I am sure I have seen reports where people using these brushes on interior trim, are the bristles soft enough?
I'm not sure about that. While they are definitely soft, I don't know if it's soft enough for trim (especially clear coated trim, that would be a no no). My issue with using it on trim is that it's not an accurate tool. A hand held brush is easy to control and use. This spins, oscillates, and is bulky (3.5inch diameter, plus the machine itself). I understand on a large trunk trim or something this would be quick, but so is hot water and a cloth if I'm honest.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good. I have used their older larger one and found it to be one of my fav tools. Looks like I will be buying this one too :)..
Yeah they have a few different sizes. After looking at videos I determined this was the best one for me (some of them are rotary only).

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I use a brush attachment for a drill in a similar way and love it. Figured I'd be able to manoeuvre it in tight places better than a DA attachment. I do use it to blow off grit from mats on occasion and to dislodge really stubborn grit from carpets. A great all round tool.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a brush attachment for a drill in a similar way and love it. Figured I'd be able to manoeuvre it in tight places better than a DA attachment. I do use it to blow off grit from mats on occasion and to dislodge really stubborn grit from carpets. A great all round tool.
Yeah, anything stuck in carpet will be gone after this thing sees it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.