Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Thoroughly jet wash your driveway before winter sets in. I think a lot of ice forms because moss/mould/algae/grime that builds up holds onto moisture and gives it a chance to spread.

Doesn't solve it completely, but I've noticed it's not as quick to form when it's been done

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of an alternative substance to sprinkle on to prevent or dissolve existing ice. I have heard of a dried gel type substance being used but do not know where to find it or effects on vehicle etc.
Do any mobile valeters offer anything like this as an additional service on customers drives post wash?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I might be speaking out of turn here but.....is there any point in non-corrosive salts on your driveway when you do x miles a week on roads that use a corrosive salt??
I think, when applying it to drives and doorsteps, some are being more mindful about it being treaded into their carpets/homes and leaving white staining than the effect on the car exteriors.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Morning guys

With the onset of winter I am looking for a non corrosive road salt alternative to keep the driveway ice free.

Any suggestions?
Surely pointless unless you don't intend to drive the car on the road unless you mean corrosive to the drive!
Salt won't do thecar any harm on a drive unless you own a stately home with a long drive.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Fair point, Hadn't really thought about that!!
I often use bags of Ice Melt granule type stuff and hadn't thought of it either before an Aunt I was talking about it to said she didn't use them because of that reason. Still doesn't stop me using it though. I'd rather sacrifice an inexpensive mat than go on my **** when I step out the door :lol:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
some are being more mindful about it being treaded into their carpets/homes and leaving white staining than the effect on the car exteriors.
When I was a young lad (long time ago), I was always told to take my shoes off before I went indoors :thumb:....

Bloody youngsters of today...... they don't know how easy they got it :lol:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have had the coconut bristle mat installed in the porch & all shoes are now removed or you don't come in!
Equally I have over mats over the mats in the car for wet days & if a 5th person gets in then a towel goes on the rear floor over the lump (transmission tunnel as was).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.