Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently purchased a 3 year old Ibiza Cupra

And when I gave its first clean I noticed the windscreen and rear screen had what appeared to be scratch marks. I can only think this is caused by the wipers and possibly something on them or on the screen like leaf litter etc..

Would you say this was down to miss care by the previous owner? I have cleaned the wipers thoroughly now, or would you think it could be the wipers being old and dated?

Any advice be great, ill try get an image later if I remember.

Is there anything that can be used to buff out these marks permanently?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
As to what put the scratches there is anyone's guess, Carpro CeriGlass works with their glass pads (forgot the name of them) on a rotary or DA but it takes a long long time to cut the glass to a point of removing the scratches, if you do it I'd replace the wipers too and get the best you can afford, Bosch are probably favorite.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I believe it's a Rayon glass pad you need to go with either a rotary or a D.A. Ceriglass is excellent, and you can get a good kit from performance motorcare as well. Assuming they are still operational. You don't need to ' slip ' with the hammer just yet mate. You will be amazed at the transformation the right products will give. It takes a lot of time and patience though. Plan on a minimum of 3 hours on the screen if it's bad. Finish with an I.P.A wipe down, or such like and finish with your chosen glass sealant. Fly by 30 is excellent, as is G1.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Your insurance company will give you a new screen if you ask for one. The £50 or so that you'd spend on your excess is well worth it to have a fresh screen and think what you would spend on products to sort it etc. I have had a replacement screen without having to 'dispatch' my old one. Mine had lots of tiny little stone chips spattered on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ey Up, Pete...

I was considering asking my insurers for a new screen as mine is covered in small stone chips, because you claimed on your insurance for your new screen did it effect the following years premium?

Andy...:)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Glass shouldn't affect the policy or no claims from my understanding. Also don't forget Don't let them know that the car glass was scratched by the previous owner. They won't cover it if they find that out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ey Up, Pete...

I was considering asking my insurers for a new screen as mine is covered in small stone chips, because you claimed on your insurance for your new screen did it effect the following years premium?

Andy...:)
good question, did it affect the following premium?

I could always ask

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
AFAIK it doesn't affect premiums if you claim for a windscreen; I have replaced a few over the years and all you pay is an excess which is defined in your policy - usually around £70 nowadays - but as mentioned it is wise t check your own policy before going ahead.

Mmmm, nice clear windscreen just ready for sealing......:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a new screen once for a crack. Cost me 70 quid but didn't effect next years insurance :thumb: that was with NFU so might be different with others?
It would have only been £50 if you had let Autoglass do it for you! It will not affect your insurance premium. (from a detailing obsessive NFU Mutual agent)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
It would have only been £50 if you had let Autoglass do it for you! It will not affect your insurance premium. (from a detailing obsessive NFU Mutual agent)
It was autoglass, and was NFU and was still £70? I was only 18 at the time so perhaps that had a bearing on what I paid? If not I'll be chasing them for my 20 quid :lol:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I had 4 claims in 2 years on my forester sti, one was a chip repair, the other three were replacement screens (original Japanese Subaru screens made like toffee!) All 3 of the screens I had to have replaced were due to gritting lorries coming the other way and shattering the screen, and the last one of the screens which got smashed was only 32 days old!! I wouldn't have minded so much but they took nearly 7 weeks to get here direct from japan!!

Now this year in September I changed my car and insurance company to Direct line, they get my NCB form my previous insurers and the first thing they did was contact me and cancel my windscreen cover for a year because I had too many claims over the past 2 years! Even though the claims were not made against them or even on this car I've still been penalised!

·
Registered
485 Posts
It didnt affect my insurance renewal as I think glass claims are 'different'

I was very pleased that I got mine changed, made such a difference. The man who changed it was shocked at the amount of chips on it, but it was 150k-odd motorway miles of damage... I wish I'd known about G1 back then, i could have treated the fresh screen to it lol.

I expect I will end up having the screen on my golf replaced soon too as I have stonechips and lots of scratches again :/

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have 3 fairly big chips in mine that have been repaired. I also have hundreds of tiny little pin hole ones. I have a mazda mx5 and the mx5 I had before suffered a lot of stone chips. I blame the size of the car. Always seems to be the rear wheels of BMW drivers that kick stones up at me.

One of the chips is particulary bad but doesn't feel smooth as if it's been fixed. I really want a new windscreen but its one of those things that gets put the back of the list of things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.