Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay a quick one-

I've been detailing a TVR Tuscan. Due to the fibre glass body it hasn't been possible to do a paint depth reading. As such I haven't wanted to be too aggressive with the machine polishing, which means although I have removed most swirl marks a few remain. I daren't go any further with the machine now as depth is unknown (and been a TVR is probably quite uneven!). So I decided to call it a day and applied Wolfs Body Wrap with the intention of waxing as LSP. However I just can't leave those last few marks!! So can I add a glaze before wax? Will that work? I have some Poor Boys Black Hole or will that clean off the WBW?

Advice please :)

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
It sounds like you need a fist layer of something that has fillers in it like PoorBoys - Black Hole.

I saw a recent post on here that a guy had used it on a red car and it looked stunning.

After that you can put a wax or sealant on top.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like you need a fist layer of something that has fillers in it like PoorBoys - Black Hole.

I saw a recent post on here that a guy had used it on a red car and it looked stunning.

After that you can put a wax or sealant on top.
Yeah with hindsight I guess that's what I should've done. But as I have already applied the WBW wasn't sure if I could apply BH over the top without removing some of the WBW (as BH has cleaning properties too) in turn affecting the durability of WBW's protection. Seems I've gone **** about ***. I figured the WBW was gonna be a great base layer.

Would it be a better idea to forget the BH and apply Wolfs new Shine & Glaze? I guess a clean down with IPA, application of WSG, fresh application of WBW then a wax to finish may be a good solution?

·
36,475 Posts
bodywrap needs totally bare paint to bond properly so no glaze before hand and no point waxing over it imo, will ruin its water behaviour for one thing..
wolfs shine and seal may be worth a look..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bodywrap needs totally bare paint to bond properly so no glaze before hand and no point waxing over it imo, will ruin its water behaviour for one thing..
wolfs shine and seal may be worth a look..
Okay. Thanks for that. Why Wolfs Shine & Seal in particular? Does it have filling properties to fill those last few swirls? As I carried out a multistage cut & refine I hadnt considered an 'all in one' product as I do not need the cut, just the fill. Will I gain anything from it that I haven't achieved already?

Re waxing I hadn't thought of it like that- good point. I was just hoping it may offer a deeper wetter look, plus I thought the wax would only add to the protection and beading of the paintwork and perhaps even protect the lingevity of the WBW applied too?

·
Mr Generosity.
2,238 Posts
It sounds like you have put in work, so I personally wouldn't strip the sealant.
I would throw a wax on top and call it a day!
If the few swirls left are gonna drive you nuts, you will probably have to strip everything down by washing, claying etc.
Kev is right when he said sealants like "bare" paint. To me, that means focus on a finishing polish for the swirls, then wipe down before the sealant instead of a glaze.
I think using a glaze, then wiping it down with IPA etc, isn't the best way to go. I like to throw a wax right on top.
I also don't mind throwing a wax on top of sealant, can only help IMO
:thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds like you have put in work, so I personally wouldn't strip the sealant.
I would throw a wax on top and call it a day!
If the few swirls left are gonna drive you nuts, you will probably have to strip everything down by washing, claying etc.
Kev is right when he said sealants like "bare" paint. To me, that means focus on a finishing polish for the swirls, then wipe down before the sealant instead of a glaze.
I think using a glaze, then wiping it down with IPA etc, isn't the best way to go. I like to throw a wax right on top.
I also don't mind throwing a wax on top of sealant, can only help IMO
:thumb:
Okay I'm gonna go with that. So..
.. I'll add a second coat of WBW then 2 coats of wax. All I have on the shelf is AutoSmart WAX. Is it any good? Opinions please. So far I haven't been overwhelmed by its durability.

Any recommendations for a good wax without a crazy price tag? Bearing in mind the stage of finish the car is at I would love it to add some extra depth, wetness, durability and the ability to compliment and improve the water hating/beading of the WBW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.