Detailing World Forum banner
181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Just another post here to say how much I'm liking Lustrous so far! I had to reapply it to my bonnet recently as the first attempt during hot weather left a lot of high spots that I couldn't reduce for love nor money, even with great advice from @Reflectology ! This stuff must be pretty chemical resistant because I threw everything I had at it including FSE, neat 99% IPA, CarPro tar remover and BH Cleanser Fluid... nothing seemed to diminish it! I have a bottle of the 'stronger' version as it happens. On second application I got lovely results working in smaller sections and with a spritz of DI on the final buff.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been using short haired microfibre cloth to apply Graphene Lustrous. It would be easier on my hands to use an applicater. What do you all use ? MF or foam ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been using short haired microfibre cloth to apply Graphene Lustrous. It would be easier on my hands to use an applicater. What do you all use ? MF or foam ?
These were recommended earlier in the thread I think. Personally I’ve used Pearl weave microfibre towels.

·
Registered
137 Posts
These were recommended earlier in the thread I think. Personally I’ve used Pearl weave microfibre towels.

Thank you, I missed that. That seems to be what I am looking for. I will give one a try.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 · (Edited)
Just a quick update guys.

The stronger batch is flashing far to quickly via an applicator on a warm panel outside.

Had my first issue a few days ago, and will need to machine polish the black roof to remove the high spots.

The sooner I can detail inside again the better 😡.

I just tried via a microfibre towel & far easier to apply & level 👍👍

Sorry, if my recommendation earlier in this thread has caused issues for anyone applying outside.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Applicators are not recommended for application, they load up too quickly and too heavily in a contained area which will leave high spots and application issues. I've had a few guys message me regarding this and I will offer advice anytime, those that have switched to cloth have all noticed the difference in ease of use and finish, heat will always cause a problem as the carrier evaporates due to air temperature leaving the graphene coating behind, hope this helps.

·
Registered
Porsche Cayman S 2007 & Fiat Panda 4x4 Twin Air 2013
2,802 Posts
Foam applicators - forget it in the warm! I am pretty sure I have the stronger batch and I'm quite happy to use it with a microfibre applicator and find it just as easy as with a pearl weave. I did find the limits though on my first attempt - too warm, black car. Second attempt was more successful, in cooler conditions. Some levelling fluid - or water as it's known is definitely recommended for the wipe.
I'm gonna do a side by side test with the Zirconite ZG-365 stuff which make very similar claims.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I’ve tried applying with 3 different types of rag company applicators & MF

Created to many high spots

Better and more even application but still seemed to hold too much product, creating the odd high spot

This mF I found the best for me, not too much concentrated product, good level and quick flip mopped up high spots

Still can’t believe how long Lustrous is still performing on my bonnet and boot lid, it’s simply a Wonder Product with insane chemical resistant and same beading as if I’d just applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I've got the stronger batch and also used it on wheels with epic results considering they take a beating from brake dust. I have forgotten at some point to remove the trigger and spray it out into the bottle to clear it out and now the trigger wont even depress so guess need to hunt for a replacement trigger :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Still can’t believe how long Lustrous is still performing on my bonnet and boot lid, it’s simply a Wonder Product with insane chemical resistant and same beading as if I’d just applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Have to agree, ticks all the boxes I want from an LSP without any drawbacks for my personal circumstance.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Absolutely insane product.

IMO the only area it can be improved is a more predictable application though, even with the correct strength batch it's extremely sensitive to temperature, wind and climate.

It's totally manageable when you're used to it, but some days it's as easy to apply and remove as a typical sealant, other days you're taking maybe 20 minutes more doing a car than you ordinarily would, using a spritz of water here and there (which just feels wrong) and triple checking your work. Even though in my view the new Cancoat EVO is an inferior product, I'll always reach for it on a job where I'm pressed for time. Ps. The original version of Cancoat is easier still.

I would love to see a further evolution of Lustrous though and I think this may make it appeal to a wider market who would reading this thread thinking it's a bit too fussy for their liking.. it is undoubtedly but absolutely worth it.

Maybe also, for those who love toppers, a reduced strength (non '+') version to apply over the top giving 3 to 6 months durability as opposed to 12 months plus, with a lot more flexibility of application. That way you'd have the full fledged coating, the lite coating for enhancement jobs and advanced enthusiasts, and then the maintenance product to top either and also cater for the entry level market. I suppose Russ might say that's where SC Mist comes in

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Will be interested to see when performance drops off.

Has anyone got past 12 months yet?

When I return from holiday, have a deep clean of my daughters black X-Trail. It was applied nearly 8 mths ago.

Thinking a good decon. Citrus APC & Autofoam.

Tempted to just top up the protection on the wheels following a fall out remover.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Absolutely insane product.

IMO the only area it can be improved is a more predictable application though, even with the correct strength batch it's extremely sensitive to temperature, wind and climate.

It's totally manageable when you're used to it, but some days it's as easy to apply and remove as a typical sealant, other days you're taking maybe 20 minutes more doing a car than you ordinarily would, using a spritz of water here and there (which just feels wrong) and triple checking your work. Even though in my view the new Cancoat EVO is an inferior product, I'll always reach for it on a job where I'm pressed for time. Ps. The original version of Cancoat is easier still.

I would love to see a further evolution of Lustrous though and I think this may make it appeal to a wider market who would reading this thread thinking it's a bit too fussy for their liking.. it is undoubtedly but absolutely worth it.

Maybe also, for those who love toppers, a reduced strength (non '+') version to apply over the top giving 3 to 6 months durability as opposed to 12 months plus, with a lot more flexibility of application. That way you'd have the full fledged coating, the lite coating for enhancement jobs and advanced enthusiasts, and then the maintenance product to top either and also cater for the entry level market. I suppose Russ might say that's where SC Mist comes in

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
I was just reading through this and thinking sc mist would be perfect the middle ground/topper.... Then you mentioned it 😄 sc mist is brilliant, so easy to use and has great performance

181 - 195 of 195 Posts