Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent all afternoon and evening on my wifes black Kodiaq on Tuesday. Full decon removing the Moonlight on it, light polish just to spruce up a bit (absolutely no swirls to be seen as i've nurtured her since new for 4 years) and applied some shinee wax. We are planning to sell the car next week so didn't bother putting anything durable on.
Took the car in for its service and told them NOT to wash it - made it very clear as I didn't have a "do not wash" tag in the car.

The receptionist wrote on the service sheet in bold "DO NOT WASH" so what did they do....

I nearly cried. After 4 years of careful washing and application of good strong LSP's I could see the marks from a metre away in the sun. Every bloody panel. It was perfect and ready for sale and now I need to do it again.

All I got was the courtesy car costs (about £10) back.

What I really can't understand is that it was completely spotless when I took it in. It was clean as hell, even dressed the plastic and tyres - why the hell wash it anyway??.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You must've been livid when you saw the damage.
The only saving grace is you are moving it on.
Hopefully a quick going over with an All In One polish/filler/glaze like Tripple will be enough to get it presentable enough until you find a buyer.

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
I specifically told the local Kia Dealers in front of their butchers, Do NOT wash my car. I don't care if it's dirty, i'll do it myself.
Yep, they still washed it anyway

·
Registered
333 Posts
It could have been slightly worse , a range rover / Land Rover dealer. Years ago I took mine in for a first / 700 mile service. It was very clean with strictly no wash everywhere. Still shocked all these years later. The farmers defender they had obviously cleaned before mine then had its mud deposited in mine , even the interior windows were covered in mud !!! All they did was said they’d take the screen wash off the bill, I asked how did you get £20 of screen wash in a full reservoir.

Keep smiling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
This is quite straightforward.

You gave specific, simple, instructions which were recorded in their paperwork. They have chosen to ignore those instructions.

Are you ever likely to use them again?

If not then there's nothing to lose by.......

1. Take it back and ask them to put right the damage they have done to the paintwork - I presume you have (lots ;)) of photos to show just how lovely and totally swirl free she was. Evidence of her condition is key here. You have to give them an opportunity to put it right.

2. If they refuse, get a quote (NOT an estimate) from a reputable outfit to bring the car back to its condition before they damaged it.

3. Take the quote to them and see what happens.

4. It's a very simple process to go to Small Claims Court to get redress. The threat of that often works wonders.

If you are going to use them again then it may well be worth tempering how hard you push for it to be put right for your future relationship.

Good luck.

Andy.

Andy.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
As Andy said, get a quote from a detailer.

I had this around 15 yrs ago & the dealership paid in full.

I did have to take the car back after & show them the car, which they paid in full & a free service.

·
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that Andy.

That's exactly the right advice but the issue is I want the car sold by the end of next week and off the driveway by the end of the following week ready for an incoming Yaris GR.

I've taken Monday off work now so it will be done and dusted as they say. This is the car the evening before the service.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I had this a few years ago. I bought a brand new specced up VW Polo SEL, I had waited months for it. Every time it went into my VW garage I told them, DO NOT WASH IT!
So they washed it, using a dirty brush on a pole. They may as well have used a bloody wire brush. It took me over a week of hard work to rectify all the panels, apart from one deep scratch right across the bonnet.
I went ballistic, had a meeting with the service manager. His exact words were' "We are not talking about a £1000.000 Bentley, it's only a Polo, anyway all cars, even new cars, have scratches on."
I told him in no uncertain terms that to him, it was my Bentley and he should have treated someone else's property with respect, and it was the last car I would ever buy from them after being a customer for many years.
I moved onto my local Nissan dealer, family firm and the experience couldn't be any different. They still do a service wash, but they know not to wash my car, it's even on the computer so when they print off a job sheet it's right at the top.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
Trust me, as an ex valeter at a dealership, if you have an **** licking service manager, you’re flogging a dead horse.

Amount of times I told the SM that a customers vehicle didn’t need the service wash as it was immaculate, nope ‘it’s what the customer wants, so it’s what the customer gets’

1 - 20 of 24 Posts