Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Again Folks!

Saturday gave me the chance to test out the lovely Spirit wax from the AF team. I've used a couple of the AF Waxes before (Soul, Desire, Illusion) and loved them all, so I was looking forward to giving Spirit a try!

The test rat was my car for the winter, a 54' Reg Ford Fiesta in light metallic blue, with 152k miles on the clock.

Due to time constraints, I only had time to do the bonnet of the car. It was washed and clayed using a clay sponge, before using CarPro Eraser to remove the oils left from the clay lube.

After cleaning, half of the bonnet was hand polished using AF Rejuvenate (my favourite pre-wax cleanser)

I always find this leaves a lovely gloss to light coloured paints. Well worth trying if you haven't already!

Next, the wax. A lovely smell! I couldn't pinpoint it but I thought it was like sweet marzipan... Not sure if that's what was intended but I really liked it.

Spread very thinly around half the bonnet. The wax is reasonably hard in texture but that means its easy to achieve a thin layer. Very easy to spread too, goes for miles!

Here it is curing:

After 5 mins, it was buffed using a short nap MF cloth at first, before finishing off with a very plush cloth.

This left a lovely shine and gloss to the paint. It also felt very smooth to touch!

Luckily, it was raining outside which mean we got some beading!

Very tall pronounced beads which is something I really like in a wax.

After a short drive, it's easy to see the waxed side of the bonnet, the water just ran off!

Some beading pictures the following day after some overnight rain

And with a hose!

It's a really nice wax to use, and certainly meets my expectations of a wax at this price point. I'm interested to see the durability, but I'm sure 2 coats would see you through winter no problem.

Thanks again to AF for sending the sample!

Jon

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Question to AF - did You change smell of Spirit, compared to one of the first pots ? I am reading about sweet smell, marzipan, vanilia etc, while my pot smelt a bit like Collinite 476s and there was nothing sweet in it.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking good Jon :)

That one of those new monster microfibre towels CYC have in store?
Cheers Jonny! It's actually one of the Wax-Tec ones I picked up from Waxamomo. Most plush MF I've ever seen!

Nice review Jon!

What happened to the CC?
Thanks Wout!

The CC has gone back to the lease company! I've got a new car on order but it will only be March/April when I receive it. Not too bothered as it means I won't be scared of bashing it over winter and I still get it in time to enjoy the summer months in it!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Nice review there Jon - really like the photo's of the water splashing onto the bonnet!

My full size pot of Spirit has an apple scent - which is present in the sample pots, but not quite so pronounced.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What colour you gone for? spec etc?
3 Door, DSG, Tornado Red with standard 18" alloys (I don't like the design of the 19" wheels!), Tartan cloth, Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Adaptive Chassis Control, Reversing Camera, Service Pack, Keyless Entry & go!

The list of standard kit is great too, DAB, F&R Parking Sensors, Tinted Windows, Adaptive Cruise Control, Xenons with cornering lights, interior illumination pack.

My Mk5 GTI was 3-door Tornado Red and I loved it so had to have another!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
3 Door, DSG, Tornado Red with standard 18" alloys (I don't like the design of the 19" wheels!), Tartan cloth, Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Adaptive Chassis Control, Reversing Camera, Service Pack, Keyless Entry & go!

The list of standard kit is great too, DAB, F&R Parking Sensors, Tinted Windows, Adaptive Cruise Control, Xenons with cornering lights, interior illumination pack.

My Mk5 GTI was 3-door Tornado Red and I loved it so had to have another!
Pretty decent spec that :)

No wonder your so excited

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.