Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

With all my plastic etc previously coated in a silicone type back to black stuff over the years, im wondering if the silicone will affect the T1's performance ?

Will it all just need a clean as per instructions and will all be fine ?

Cheers

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would give it a really good clean / agitation (is that even a word?!) with some G101. I was then shown a miracle by Matt AKA Stangalang a way to clean trim and remove old polish from them - one of those magic white sponges which are used in kitchens. I would give a wipe with that.

I'm not sure on T1 but I would be using C4 permanent trim restorer instead of T1.

Elliott.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Says Tyre and Trim http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/t1tyre-and-trim/

I like how you can control the amount of shine, from satin to gloss, interior will have much less then the exterior plastic.

I don't like permanent trim stuff because it covers the cars original colour shade and every part would have to then be done the same. I do use permanent trim colour when I have had to use some fibreglass filler to mend trim pieces and strengthen them, my cars trim are known for breakage and cracks in certain areas.

The exterior trim I did have to clean a while back using a paint key cutting pad and it did a wonderful job removing all the years of crap build up dirt etc. I then applied Turtle wax black in a flash, came up nice back then.

Thanks for the tips so far :)

EDIT> Just had a look at the C4 and it looks like it does just refresh the trim colour not change it. the cleaner looks top stuff too so that's on order.

So does anyone have any pictures of some trim treated with both C4 and T1 as a comparison ?

I think the trim description means the outer trim not interior.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I use it for tyres and trim with no problems. Some have had experience of streaking down the paintwork after raining, but I've not had this and I've used to since before I was released. If it's for your own car then C4 would probably do you, but if your doing friends or family cars it would get expensive fast. T1 is quite longer lasting but no where near as long as C4, but I don't have a problem applying it. It gives me another chance to inspect the car for anything I may of missed.
I have used it from time to time on the inside of door shuts, but really for interior plastics you may want to try C6 plastic restorer. It restores a nice non shiny, non greasy factory look to the interior and lasts also.
Before doing anything you need to remove any previous product and thoroughly clean the area you want to apply anything to. So give it a good clean/scrub with a good all purpose cleaner and/or good degreaser, then you need to wipe the area down with panel wipe or isopropylalcohol to make sure it's free from anything you don't want left behind and then apply the relevant product.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C6 looks good too but I do like the satin shine for interior and shiny for the exterior, some of my interior is shiny as standard anyways. Ill have a play around with both T1 and C4, either way I have a tyre and interior solution, both satin and gloss.

Cheers

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the sounds of it ill use T1 on tyres and outer trim and C4 for interior work, then W2 to clean the lot before application.

I do ask because iv known someone that fully prepared outer trim for paint and it still had a reaction, took twice to paint, im sure using a scuffer will help clean it better.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I wouldn't use C4 for interior. You'll need a lot of it and I really don't know if it'll be okay for the more softer malliable plastics.
T1 or C4 for exterior, T1 (if you must) or C6 for interior, I1 for interior/exterior plastics and L1 for interior leather.
The only time I've used C4 on the interior is on the glossy centre console plastics as thet are quite easily scratched and wanted to offer a little, if only marginal, scratch protection.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah ill just test them all see which I like best for the job, my dash main part has vinyl wrap and rest is hard plastic, so its all guess work until I actually test them out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My interior trim has lost a lot of depth and has faded, so C4 will replenish it up nicely. Then it will give me a nice silk, satin sort of look, I dont want the matt look.

Will C4 on exterior trim to permanently keep its colour then with some T1 on top to gain the gloss work ??

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure will do that with all the solutions I now have so I can get the right amount of gloss etc.

Just wondering the question from gtech themselves.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
My interior trim has lost a lot of depth and has faded, so C4 will replenish it up nicely. Then it will give me a nice silk, satin sort of look, I dont want the matt look.

Will C4 on exterior trim to permanently keep its colour then with some T1 on top to gain the gloss work ??
c4 will restore the colour but not add gloss - t1 will add gloss and can be applied over c4 :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.