Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi people,

A mate of mine just bought a 2002 Merc CLK 2.0 kompressor and I told him I'd help him get it detailed over the next few weeks (time, weather and wife permitting of course).

Anyway, earlier today I called over to his place to have a quick look at the car and see how much work would be needed to bring it up to par.

Overall it was in pretty good shape with excellent mechanics and the bodywork was pretty decent as well, but when he flipped the bonnet I really couldn't believe how filthy it was! It was so unloved under there that I instantly decided I had to attack it, right there and then with whatever products he could find in his kitchen :D

It was starting to rain and my mate looked at me like I had genuinely lost the plot, but hey ho, needs must....and I really needed to give that engine bay a clean...with anything I could get my hands on!

While my buddy was digging around in the kitchen for cleaning products I took the a quick photo of the neglected CLK engine bay. Here's how it looked...

Can you see why I felt the need to attack it then and there? Or am I really OCD as the missus keeps telling me :D

Anyway, my buddy eventually found some Tesco value APC under the sink, a new small paint brush, a washing up brush and some washing up foam pads (his missus is gonna kill him!) and a roll of cling film.

I then found a bottle of AG Vinyl and Rubber Care in my car boot, so all we needed was some water and we were good to go! A garden hose provided the solution.

My mate said he had some stuff to do indoors so he'd leave me to it.

I set to work first covering all the sensor connectors and the alternator with cling film. Then I gave the whole engine bay a liberal coating of APC and left it to dwell for a few minutes before agitating it with the small paint brush, then gently rinsing with find spray/mist of water while agitating a little more. I repeated that process a couple of times until I was reasonably happy with the way it looked. Total time spent: 45 minutes or so.

Next I dried everything I could find with two or three MF cloths, before dressing the plastics/hoses with AG Vinyl and Rubber care using a MF to buff.

After about an hour and a half in total it was looking pretty decent, given the time and the lack of products.

Here's an 'after' pic so you can judge for yourselves...

Needless to say, I didn't let my mate see it until I was done with it, and when I flipped the bonnet up I swear he almost had a heart attack! So yeah, he liked it. A lot :D

In my mind there's still loads to do though (prep and respray engine covers, replace rusty nuts/screws, sort out corrosion on water pump and a few other parts etc plus lots of other little bits and pieces, but getting it to this stage is a good start and I went home quite satisfied with my efforts.

Thanks for reading. Comments and Questions welcome

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Great effort :thumb:

But have you dented/crushed the air intake pipe? The black plastic tubing to the right of the engine cover and in front of the silver braided hose?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmm it does look that way doesn't it, but I'm just not that clumsy and that air intake is made of thick ABS plastic so would be virtually impossible to crush.

Hmm, it's a strange one LOL, but my mate is coming over for tea tonight so I'll take a look at it then and report back with my findings. Watch this space!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.