Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to have a bit of play with the spray-on's that I've got on the bonnet of my car.

It's a Lexus RX300 with about 108,000 miles on the clock so isn't in the perfect condition, but it does get looked after generally.

Sprayed with ONR first, then a 1:10 solution of G101 and given a quick wipe over with a MF cloth soaked in an ONR wash bucket.

Then gave it a quick claying as it had only been covered with Optimum Spray Wax last week too. The first couple of passes with the clay were quite a bit grubbier!

Then sprayed with ONR again and ONR wash with a grouting sponge. Dried with a DJ Basics of Bling towel.

This is after coating. 1 coat of Tough Coat, then did a coat of Optimum on the other side. Wiped off the Tough Coat and repeated that again for a second layer of each.

No close ups as I'm not really bothered about the shine, etc. Just interested to see what the longevity of them is like (Optimum bottle says up to 5 months!) and I was a bit bored for half an hour :lol:

So I shall try and update with some pics in the near future and see how it goes.

View from the drive.

If it's parked, it's parked there so as you can imagine it gets a bit of a constant battering with sea air.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Not used the AF Tough Coat although as a sealant I would guess it has greater durability than OCW. I do look forward to your results though.

Just as an aside, OCW does not need perfectly dry paint before using. As long as most of the water has gone i.e. first wipe after ONR then OCW can be applied to a slightly damp surface. This also means the paint is never touched by a dry towel

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say I am liking the Optimum thus far. Although when I did the whole car last week it was a very quick and cowboyish effort, so I'm expecting to have to reapply the rest of the car the next time I get the chance. But there was some nice beading from the couple of showers we've had over the past few days.

It goes on obscenely easily and it almost feels wrong as I thought Tough Coat was too easy when I got it. You have to buff the Tough Coat off, so you at least feel like you've done some work. :lol: Using the Optimum is easier than cleaning glass, if I've done it right!!

Speaking of which, do you have to buff off Optimum after you've applied it? I did a cursory final wipe with a dry MF, when I did the bonnet today, but visually there was nothing there to remove. And of course the instructions don't mention anything about it either, so I'm guessing not.

·
DW's 'Mr. Helpful'
14,893 Posts
I actually purchased the Optimum spray wax and a few others to do a spray wax test over a year ago and still not gotten round to it...:wall:

Look forward to the results...:thumb:

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
.....Speaking of which, do you have to buff off Optimum after you've applied it? I did a cursory final wipe with a dry MF, when I did the bonnet today, but visually there was nothing there to remove. And of course the instructions don't mention anything about it either, so I'm guessing not.
You are right, no buffing as such, just spread and then wipe or sometimes you can get away with not wiping. I use OCW to help dry after cleaning with ONR, it may not be the most durable product but it is very easy to use. One or two sprays per panel is more then enough

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And a very nice view too :thumb:
Certainly is. Not so much though when it's wet and windy and you get a nice frosted effect on all the windows :lol:

Been many a time when I've had to wipe the car windows clear every time before I've gone to drive off.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just had a bit of a shower and this was the result. Excuse the poor iPhone picture, was all I had to hand. Beading looks poor with the Optimum, but once I started driving it ran/blew off nicely.

As above, left is Tough Coat, right is Optimum

The Tough Coat, as it usually does, beaded loads tighter towards the other edge of the bonnet but, as you can see below, it was darker on towards the edge so wouldn't show up well in that split shot.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Maybe in performance, but not in application/use of the product.

Edit:
I just think that Opti-Seal has quite a exact set of prep and directions to apply. Both of these products are proud to promote their ease of application and that was the main reason for me trying them so, IMO, they absolutely can be looked at as competition for each other.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You are comparing a sealant vs a wax?

Try and compare Opti-seal vs tough coat, as Opti-seal is optimums sealant, they might be a better comparison. Opti-seal is just as easy to lay on as the opti-wax, actually maybe more easy as you spray less on the foam pad and wipe it in, instead of spraying on the car.

Sidenote: You can also use the opti-seal the same way in driyng the car as other people do with opti-wax...

Opti-coat is a more permanent coating, not a sealant compared to tough coat...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just realised that I had mistakenly wrote opti-seal instead of opti-coat in my last post.

I know it's sealant vs wax. They weren't bought or blagged to conduct a test. It was a comparison done purely because I had both products to hand and I was curious.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been raining most of the evening and the beading of both products was looking very nice earlier. Didn't get a pic as I was going out in a hurry, so hopefully it'll carry on overnight and I'll be able to in the morning.

Must've just been a glitch in the matrix when I snapped the last pictures as the rest of the car (coated in Optimum) has beaded up nicely too tonight. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Courtesy of the overnight rain. Hasn't been re-washed since application. Will probably get to that later on in the week if I get time.

Larger/Original pictures (from iPhone).

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm confused - in the earlier pics beading on OCW was worse than it is in the above pics.

One thing I noticed immediately in the first pic - the OCW part looks considerably wetter.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm confused - in the earlier pics beading on OCW was worse than it is in the above pics.

One thing I noticed immediately in the first pic - the OCW part looks considerably wetter.
I am a little too, but it is how it is, as I said in my post last night...

Been raining most of the evening and the beading of both products was looking very nice earlier. Didn't get a pic as I was going out in a hurry, so hopefully it'll carry on overnight and I'll be able to in the morning.

Must've just been a glitch in the matrix when I snapped the last pictures as the rest of the car (coated in Optimum) has beaded up nicely too tonight. :thumb:
The only possible way I can explain it is that it was perhaps due to wind or dirt that affected only that side of the bonnet the other night (it does have a slight crease and slope to it) and has since washed away with the rain. What might be worth noting is that the Tough Coat side of the bonnet has a wall slightly shorter than me (5ft 10") a few ft from it (you can just see it in photo 2 of post 1), whereas the Optimum has a driveway about 6 cars width before the next wall.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that is just a trick of the light. You can get an idea of the angle the sun passes over by the reflection on the wing mirror and I think it's just a case of the harsh light of the sun peaking making it tough coat side look a bit washed out.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First wash this morning after 9 days and about 260miles driving. ONR, 1BM with tiling sponge.

It kindly rained heavily about 2 hours after I finished so managed to get some freshish pictures. Couldn't get them straight away so this is after driving for a few miles and being parked up for half hour or so.

(Left side AF, right side Optimum)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.