Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I owe Steve at Wath a massive thank you for coming over to Brigg for the last 2 days to work on my new (to me) TT. I've had it nearly a month but I haven't wanted to drive far until I got the paintwork sorted out.
I could tell when I bought it that it had been through some auto car washes as the marks on the roof and bonnet were visible before we lit up his lights of doom but we didn't realise how bad it actually was.

I washed, clayed and washed it again on Sunday. The wheels were in a bit of a state as the previous owner and the dealer only cleaned the faces so the insides needed some time spending on them but I got there eventually and it stayed in my garage until Steve's first visit yesterday. He came over again today so it's had half a day with me cleaning it ready for polishing and 2 days hard work from Steve.

Products used
CG shampoo, Angel Wax clay and Poorboys quick detailer as lubricant (the clay added a lot of marring. It was the first time I had tried this clay as I usually use Bilt Hamber soft.
Bilberry wheel cleaner, purple rain, Just the Tonic tar remover, various brushes

Polishing the bonnet
Scholl orange polishing pad and Scholl S17 polish. This removed the swirls but left the deeper scratches. Changed to Scholl S3. This seemed to get most of the scratches out. Refined with Farcela black polishing pad and Scholl S30+ plus a spot of S40. This gave a high gloss finish.
Steve found the paint on the bonnet very soft for an Audi.

Polishing the roof and sides etc
Tried the same combo as used on the bonnet but needed more oomph!
Changed to a Lake Country Cool Wave firm polishing pad and S3 Gold edition. Also changed to a firmer backing plate.
Refined with the same combo as used on the bonnet

All wiped down with eraser

Wheels - CarChem wheel wax. This was a trial pot that Steve likes very much. It felt quite 'gritty'. It perked my wheels up a treat and what I thought was light 'kerbing' that needed refurbing actually came out with this product so it had a bit of cut and also seals and shines.

Tyres - Pinnacle black onyz gel

Glass - cleaned with Stoners Invisible glass and finished with Artdeglass rain repellant

Paintwork coated with Artdeshine Nano (2 layers - an hour between layers) (thank you to Stangalang for sending over a new bottle)

Here are the photos. I look like a crazy woman buying a car with so many swirls but it didn't look quite so terrible until the lights were on it and it is a low mileage example that i'm thrilled with now it's had some of Steve's magic :buffer:

I'll try to get the photos into some sort of order

This is how it looked when I brought it home and I'd given it it's first wash (not too bad I thought)

Steve then lit his lights of doom. Here we go

Now for some 50/50's

My Superhero in action

It started to look better............

We then put it back into the garage to seal the wheels, dress the tyres and apply

Bit of a long one. Didn't get any photos once the sealant and wheels/tyres were done as it was raining and getting dark

Thanks again Steve at Wath. Really really really appreciate it :thumb:

·
Crisp Eater
5,151 Posts
I saw a sneak peak on Steve's Instagram SarahAnn & thought it was looking well!
It's come up a treat, I bet you're very happy :D If you ever get a silver Golf waving at you it's probably me :lol:

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
What a state it was in to begin with but what a great turnaround. It looks fantastic. Now you can really start to enjoy your TT ownership :thumbup:

I'm tempted to try the Scholl polishes - they keep giving good results.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
nice concise write up,im sorting through approx 200+ pics,so ill add some more of the finished ones later tonight so please check back

Sarah thanks for the hospitality,coffee ,sausage rolls muffins ,biscuits,think ill call over more often

to coin a phrase " the paint was a bugger",ive never seen as many marks on such a new car..dealers eh ! :doublesho

but we got there in the end

i was only the polishing monkey for the two days...dont forget you did the haed work before ,which saved us loads of time

now go and enjoy the car...what did Ian think to it

speak soon:thumb:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone

Cheers Steve. Ian isn't due back til after 10pm (missed his train). I'll let you know but i'm sure he'll be shocked (in a good way). Thanks for coming over and sorry it was a bigger job than we expected :wall:

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
here are some more pics

before

after,compounding but before refining

the same area all finished

bonnet all done,in all took approx 2 1/2 hrs so soft paint in places,but consistant paint readings across the whole car,between 3/5 microns removed in total..strange :buffer:

roof

passenger door

after s3 gold,still to refine

looking a lot better

random fave pics

a hard two days ,frustrating at times but happy with the result,there are still some deeper marks left in,would love to fully wetsand this one...oo yes

waiting to come out to play,but its raining ss in the garage i must stay

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.